Carpet Kit

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Gene-C

Carpet Kit

Post by Gene-C »

What did you guys use to carpet your floor boards? Did you use carpet that you got from a Hardware store (Lowes/Home Depot) or did you by one piece from a VW Retailer? If VW Retailer which one? Thanks, P & L
Complex One

Post by Complex One »

I originally tried a 1-piece molded carpet for a Type-1 pan from J.C. Whitney but could never get it to lay down correctly and got so frustrated with it that I simply threw it away and went to Mid America Motor Works and bought the multi-piece carpet set with the inlaid rubber foot pads on the drivers side and it has been great. Installed easy and looks good. I even used what were originally the left/right front side pieces and modified them to cover the body to floor pan on both sides from the front down tubes to behind the back of the front seats with velcro which gave things a overall more finished look. They have a lot of the carpet sets on sale at the moment so this might be a good time to buy. http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=2.24.6974 (aka MAMW) You could also try http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=carpet as I also bought a lot of product from them as well. Hope this helps.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Hi Patrick! I actually ordered carpet that matched my seats thru an upholstery business. I made mock ups out of paper and cut the carpeting and fitted it myself. I took the cut carpet back to the uphosterer and he bound the carpeting with the binding I chose. He also put the extra vinyl by the pedals. It came out very nice. cost: $160 Tomstarted out with Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpeting. I cut it to fit. It didn't have to be bound. He has now gone upscale and has done the samething as me. It was the only way he could get the color he wanted. When I travel, I use a carpet kit that I ordered on line and I cut in the areas for the shifter, e-brake and seats. That carpeting is too short for the manxter as it is designed for the beetle. Although they use the same floors, the rear seat covers about 1 foot of the floor so the carpet kits are generally about that much too short. The storage box I use on trips starts right where the carpet ends. cost: $60 While perusing the manxter 2+2 site, I noticed that there is a carpet kit listed for sale for $110 as well as a padding kit. This is the first I have seen that. Here is the link. [url=http://]www.meyersmanx.com/manxter2+2-options.shtml[/url] You could give Winnie a call and see if this is a viable option for your manxter. Hope this helps. Kathleen
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Mr Towd

Post by Mr Towd »

Olli

Post by Olli »

Mr Towd, That molded carpet is beautiful but that kit wouldn't fit a Manxter as we do not use a shortened pan. I wonder if one were to ask for a carpet that is 14"(is that right?) longer if it would fit? Olli
Olli

Post by Olli »

After speaking with Tom at Tiguana, they DO make a Manxter carpet! Olli
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

I got my carpet from tom at TJ Kustums and it was a perfect fit. 30 minutes to install and Tom will help you all the way if you need help. He is very easy to deal with.
Olli

Post by Olli »

I will be getting a molded carpet from Tom at Tijuana and I will also be having my roof covered by Tom too. Olli
CoKev

Post by CoKev »

Hey, ya'll leave Tom of TJ kustoms alone so he can finish the Towd top!! :D
Olli

Post by Olli »

I made the drive over to Tiajuana Kustoms today. The molded carpet is absolutely beautiful! The carpet hugs and fits very tightly especially at the front of the pan where the tunnel meets the body mount arch. It is all one piece and looks stunning. There is also padding bonded to the underside where it should be and of course there is a nice heel pad. Don't waste your time and money buying the multi-piece Beetle kits. My Manxter will definitely be having a Tijuana Kustoms molded carpet. It doesn't matter if you have a Manx (or Manx clone) or a Manxter, Tijuana Kustoms has a carpet for you. Needless to say, I really liked it! Olli http://www.tijuanakustoms.com/____What_ ... items.html