AC Cobra help wanted

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
mel hubbard

AC Cobra help wanted

Post by mel hubbard »

I seem to remember reading on here that we have an AC Cobra expert in the club,,,, maybe you can help. My buddy is building a GRP replica,, its fitted with a small block Chevy motor with a high rise manifold,,,,, the problem is the hood wont clear the air filter. The guy wants to keep the hood look as close as possible to an original but also wants to keep the stroker 383 with the highrise set up as is,,,,so before I start to get dusty cutting the thing around,,,, does anyone know if there is a replacement GRP high rise hood vent made for Cobras?? It looks to me to be about 1'' too low & about 1'' too narrow,, but I guess it would need more than that in clearance to allow the motor to shake.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Lower the engine mountings??? Just a thought... :D
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

My friend shoehorned a 502 big block with Ramjet fuel injection in his 58 Austin Healy and retained the stock hood. Image Didn't Cobras come with Weber 48IDA's sticking off the top of the engine and it still fit under the hood? I'm with David, see if it's possible to lower the engine.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

If it was my snake the 427 Sideoiler would be the choice,,, even though a lot of street Cobras had the less powerful 428ci FE version. BUT,,,my buddy had the motor built & shipped from USA and wants to run it in the car as it is. He tells me its built on a special race chassis,,, maybe :roll: Im no Cobra expert,,, it sure looks good. He would go nuts if I suggested lowering the mounts,,, but I must say it did go through mind too. I was just hoping that maybe an aftermarket raised hood GRP molding that closely resembles the original was available,,, to save on molding work. I have seen high intake scoop hoods on Cobs,,, but cant remember where. The Cobra expert guy was on the thread started by Scott (WAZABUG,, I think) the BIG RANT about fake Manx badges,,, remember??? he shot some limie down in flames by asking him to state the VIN on his obvious Fake Snake :D Who was that guy trying to kidd??? maybe he was getting fake Cobra tags made TOO :eek: Jerry,,, Those Healys were the best thing Austins ever made,,, that one looks well at home with Detroit iron under the hood,,, whatever happened to the old motor? 3000cc straight 6 if I remember correctly.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

He bought the car 28 years ago it had a Ford Boss 289 with a 4 speed in it, so the original engine was long gone before he bought it.