Ultimate Manx

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Don Giovanoni

Ultimate Manx

Post by Don Giovanoni »

Things are a little quiet around the site. How about getting everyone's opinion on an "ultimate" Manx - without budget/time restraints? There should probably be two versions - on-road and off-road. I will start the on-road dream version: [INDENT]Tubular chassis with trans and front end 3" higher to lower the car that much 3" body lift kit to keep the body at the right distance. Aluminum if possible. Late model Porsche 5 speed gearbox - strong, great ratios Suburu turbo engine (300 or so HP) Four wheel disc brakes Wheels - Light weight 16x8 rear, 15x6 front R-rated tires Original style fastback convertible top with doors[/INDENT] What is everyone else's additions/thoughts? Will someone start an off-road version? These dream Manxes may stimulate someone to incorporate some of these ideas in their ride...
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

I mostly agree but, remove the VW front suspension and replace with a downsized Mustang II set-up. In the rear - make it mid engined using a 914 transaxle with a-arm suspension. What can the off road guys come up with?? Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
fubar

Post by fubar »

All I know is that it would require suspended, heated seats with a built in inflatable lumbar support. And a removeable hard top. Maybe a small turbo diesel engine that would run upside down and or underwater on a small amount of fuel. And a fridge.
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Off road would have to have an A-arm front suspention with 10 - 18" of travel with Fox shocks. The rear would have 18" of travel with Fox shocks with 3x3 arms. CV's would be 930'S race prep. 091 or Mendola trans. Engine would be a big Type IV, talking around 2500cc or a Sub engine, and I like Toms idea of a mid-engine since you would not have to worry about rear over hang with it. This is sort of what i am working on but not with that big of engine :D
Dan Scott

ultimate Buggy

Post by Dan Scott »

In 2004 buggy of the month I saw one I believe would do well for both on and off road. pasted from Buggy of the month is the description - Chassis is custom made to use a Vanagon Syncro bus transaxle and a Chevy S-10 front differential. Engine is a 2020 type 1 with Hyd. lifters, Weber cam, Street Eliminator heads, dual 45 mm Delorto carbs, serpentine belt, full flow with filter, 180 degree oil cooler, 76 mm crank and lots of chrome. Front Torsion bars are from a VW rear and adapted to the front. They are adjustable! Floor is flat polished diamond plate aluminum. Full gage package and necessary warning lights. Corbeau Baja S/S seats and belts. Most all the building of this Buggy was done by me except the engine(Bernie Burgman) and pin stripping and graphics. It took 5 months to build. 4 wheel disc brakes and corvette master cyclinder. Vacuum locking rear diff. and mechanical locking front diff. This is a all wheel drive when front and rear are locked. Impressive!:drool: I would sure like to give it a test run or two.:driving:
Don Giovanoni

Maxnter 2 Seater

Post by Don Giovanoni »

I was talking to Bruce at Big Bear about a 2 seater Manxter. I don't think it would be financially feasible but as we are just dreaming... I would love a 2 seat Manxter - looking basically like the original Manx but with all of the Manxter improvements: "Roll cage" Engine hatch - providing room for carbs, etc. Opening hood Glove box Etc. Thoughts?

Dan Scott

Post by 1856 »

Hay Dan Scott I thought Ken Tronga built the 4 Play ....
subimanx

Post by subimanx »

[QUOTE="fubar"]All I know is that it would require suspended, heated seats with a built in inflatable lumbar support. And a removeable hard top. Maybe a small turbo diesel engine that would run upside down and or underwater on a small amount of fuel. And a fridge.[/QUOTE] That would also require fluffy dice on the rear vision mirror and cup holders......don't forget the cup holders..
fubar

Post by fubar »

I could manage without the dice, but the cup holders do have a function...In the Northwest we have a Starbucks about every 50 feet . The thing about the seats is because of a ruptured disc in my lower back, the only car I can ride in for any legnth of time without a lot of pain is my wifes ML320. I wonder if she would notice if I "liberated" one of the seats for my buggy?
Dan Scott

I didn't mean I built it

Post by Dan Scott »

[QUOTE="1856"]Hay Dan Scott I thought Ken Tronga built the 4 Play ....[/QUOTE] He did. I just posted his description for my dream buggy. I wish I had the knowledge and the ability to do a buggy like that. Mine is just plain with a medeum size engine and lots of grand plans.

Dan ...

Post by 1856 »

Dan follow the link below to see recent action photos of this buggy at this years "Sinkyone Wilderness Outing" http://p066.ezboard.com/frbcdunebuggyfr ... D=38.topic
fubar

Post by fubar »

Cool photos!!!!! That is on nice thing about a vw pan, it will act like a surf board if you hit a puddle hard enough.