Manxter Style Engine Cage

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
flaboyjim

Manxter Style Engine Cage

Post by flaboyjim »

Can someone post a pic of the Manxter style engine cage? Is this available for aftermarket sale? It seems that the Florida Cops are getting a bit ##$$)) about not having bumpers. Several of us were talking about our options while at Bug Jam and the general concensus was that everyone liked the lines of the Manxter cage. If it isnt commercially available, would Bruce have a problem about a "knock off". Is it attached to the torsion yokes and the upper frame mounts? Damn I ask a lot of questions (Dont I?) Thanks for the opinions and pics if you have them.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

tpinthepack

I am bidding on it.

Post by tpinthepack »

If I win it, We can have someone clone them for us. Assuming The manxclub approves.
tpinthepack

I just won the auction.

Post by tpinthepack »

IT is florida bound. I hope it can be shipped ups from atlanta. As soon as I get it, florida boys can open the flood gates for duplications. I don't need it for a while. It will be available to whoever wants to make them. So who wants to ask Winny for permission? Tony
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

Tony: Thanks for the offer - I would like to take some measurements. ...Congrats on winning the bidding!!
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I think it will be great if that style of engine cage is made and sold. However, I sure hope nobody has any plans of selling any buggy parts with the Meyers Manx name and/or logo on it other than with Bruce Meyers express written permission and preferably with him selling them through the club. I had both the new B. F. Meyers license frames made and the bronze Meyers Manx key fobs initially made for myself and turned it all over to the club to sell. I actually believe that if a group wanted a reasonable number of the Manxter bumpers, Bruce would have them made and sell them. I visited him a few years ago in Valley Center when he was building the Manxter prototype. He was very proud of the design of the Manxter's rear bumper and said then that he thought they could be sold for the Manx too.
tpinthepack

Great Idea

Post by tpinthepack »

As I stated before, we will need permissions. And I thank Cairo for the nice liscense plate tag, I love mine.
90volts

key

Post by 90volts »

Cairomax, do you have any of those keychains laying around you'd like to sell? i've been looking for them and heard that manxclub wasn't making them anymore. i was even thinking about getting the aussie site's keychain since they still make it.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

What is it made of? Stainless? Thanks
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I want a keychain too!
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I talked to Winnie about the key fobs at Lone Pine. She has tried to contact the company that was making them to get some more made, but they don't respond. I kept a couple, but I wouldn't sell them.
tpinthepack

Don't know

Post by tpinthepack »

[QUOTE="Yellermanx"]What is it made of? Stainless? Thanks[/QUOTE] It appears to be raw metal. Maybe stainess like the roll bars? I hope stainless. Imagine powder coated stainless, no rust ever.
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

I guess that I am back from the dead now - First my DSL goes out (again) and then the Website goes down.... Congrats Tony - it really arrived and you own it.... GREAT! If the general design is used, but not the Manx name or logo, would that be Kosher? Bruce and Winnie might need to answer that - That type of cage just seems so pure and simple - it puts all the other designs to shame. The cross piece is the perfect place for a tag bracket and third tail light (if there is not a logo or name there). Am I correct in asuming that the bottom connects to the frame horns and the top to the shock mounts? the cross members are the "c" channel in the rear and about a 1" diameter cross brace at the bottom? These could be ceramic coated just like the exhaust that Manx Club sells... or powder coated to contrast or match the roll cage. :drool: :drool: :drool: I think that I think too much...???
167luckycharm

Rear bumper

Post by 167luckycharm »

Hi all, During the build stage of Siggy #60, there weren't too many styles of bumpers to choose from. JCWhipme and BugPack come to mind, but most were too generic. Getting a raw steel bumper sent to the chrome shop would cost an outrageous price tag. Plus, being in the middle of the big blue pond meant shipping would be high too. Instead of complaining or going without a bumper, I did what any of you would do...I built my own! To match the front bumper that came with the kit, there was only one choice of material; STAINLESS STEEL. I weld that stuff too, although the fumes from that process is sickening, I made sure it was done outside. Some of the things that I wanted to incorporate in this design were; Had to be strong enough to withstand someone rear-ending the buggy, sure, but still offer some impact absorption. Since we don't have the original bumper supports like the beetle we cannibalized, we can't install the dragbar or "anti-hop" bar that performance bugs have, holding up the engine just below the oil pump. The rear bumper should be able to serve that purpose. The bumper had to encase the exhaust system, at least for safety inspection purposes, but to a certain extent of preventing a pedestrian from leaning up against the hot muffler or header pipes. Oh yeah, be easy to build since I'm a shadetree mechanic, and cheap too. (says my wife) So with all that...and armed with my dad's hydraulic pipe bender from Harbor Freight, an abrasive chopsaw, and a Miller stick welder, I set out to build a bumper from a 21 foot length of 1 1/4" 304 stainless steel pipe. The blueprints were drafted on a half-sheet of plywood. Measurements were taken with the exhaust system off at first, and fine tuned when the entire exhaust system was installed. The bottom crossmember acts as a dragbar,has a bracket to install the adjustable plate that pushes up against the bottom of the engine block. A block of UHMW plastic fits between the engine case and the bumper bracket and a single 1/2" bolt threads up against that to increase the tension. Of course, the bumper is attached to the shock towers and the transaxle bellhousing mount. For this, I had to go with the solid mount type. To give some absorption capabilities, the mounts are made with 1" stainless pipe and act as a telescoping joint. I would not use the bumper to tow anything though, as they are not pinned or bolted solid. That could easily be done, however, but for now the friction-fit of the 4" long inner pipes works out fine. The pipe is typical schedule-40 thickness, about 3/16" thick. Bends easy, but looks like it was about to kink when doing the almost 90 degree bend. Had to do those by bending in three places several inches apart. Notching the pipe was done with the chopsaw and mini-grinder. I used 3/32" stainless welding rods to tie it all together. What made the job really easy was a spare torsion housing that I could mock up the bumper pieces against. By the time everything was tacked together and sturdy enough to move around, it had been trial-fitted to the car several times. Finally bolted up to the dummy torsion housing and welded solid. Several places needed to be spread apart since welding one side of a pipe will cause it to bend in that direction. No problem with a hydraulic ram. I'll see if I can include a pic of the finished product. I took regular pics with the film camera back then too. So...if building your own bumper is the way to go; don't be held back by the notion that it can't be done. We're the "offspring" of the Bruce's ideas...if you can't find it somewhere; then just build it! Aloha and Happy Holidays!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

You can buy front bumpers from the Manx store so why don't they sell rear ones too?