Question for all Pa Buggies

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
73SpeedBuggy

Question for all Pa Buggies

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

For all those with buggies registered in Pa.. I'm getting some hassle from my local inspection station because my tires stick out past the fenders and because the 'wheel wells' don't cover '15 degrees to the front and 75 degrees to the rear'. How did you all get your buggies to pass inspection? Here are a couple of pics of my bug.. I just picked it up last month in Michigan and have been doing some work on it to get it street ready. Image Image Image
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Hi! Many people here from various states have had the same problem. Most of them simply stick on a set of skinny stock tires and rims before taking it down to be inspected. :driving: Then, after it passes, they swap the tires and rims back out again.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

Man I love that top!! Nice Buggy.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Nice buggy, There are a few of us from PA that should be able to answer your questions. It really depends on how your car is titled? If the mechanic is aking these questions it sounds as if he is pretty familiar with the laws. Your going to have to appease him, or find a new mechanic. With regards to your tires and the fenders, you need to have them tucked under for inspections and you need to fender coverage as well. THere are some temporary ways around this. Drop me a PM with any questions. Dave
90volts

re

Post by 90volts »

find a different mechanic. the first guy i went to held me up for about a month. he was talking to the state about it and ended up wanting all that you are saying, as well as a defroster and doors! Doors!? i went to my previous mechanic, about 5 miles away, who also said he had to talk to the state. so figured great- no way again. Next day he calls and its done. he talked to the same department and came up with an ok. interpretation? but i had taken the wheels off that stuck out from under the fenders. they originally said they didn't want those or glasspaks on it. and they did want it to be safe.so i got the skinny tires and a quietpak exhaust. but it was no problem. but i am registered as a VW sedan. if you are registered as a special construction you will need to do all that stuff with the fenders and chicken wire over the engine and a whole bunch of junk. mine is the copper color, the yellow is a buggybum's... Image
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

How can you be registered as a VW sedan? And why would the rules be different as far as inspection goes?? Man, this is not cool. I can go with smaller tires for the inspection but how do I get the 15/75 coverage? Oh and thanks to all for the compliments, I love the buggy too but I"m starting to worry I'm gonna have to sell it. Maybe I'll 'sell' it to my Mom who lives in Ohio where they don't have inspections!
glassbuggy

pa

Post by glassbuggy »

I agree that it is where you take it. If you go to a chain type of place to do it forget it. Go to a privately owned garage who needs your business. Take note if they have modified cars at their establishment as you will find more sympathy there. I do think having an extra set of tires is one of the requirements in getting one inspected. I've been through this and here in PA is probabally the worst state to deal with. I've been told I need mud flaps, my exhaust is too loud, My front bumper was'nt big enough. Just play the game - then return it to your specs afterward. Bart