Tow'd front torsion set up?

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

What is everybody else running in the front beam, stock torsion leaves, adjusters or something all together different? I tore the existing one down and found -2 leaves in both tubes. I originally planned on installing adjusters but as light as it is I'm not sure now. we're planning on street and mild off road with stock wheel travel.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
dcamomanx

Post by dcamomanx »

Mike,

On our Tow'd I just have the stock front beam and torsion bars. It works well. I like the ride. I did remove the stock stop from the beam, but I wish I had not. When we took the Tow'd to pismo the long steering arm traveled up enough to hit the hood. If you look at the passenger side of the hood you can see were the tie rod "notched" the fiberglass to make clearance. The other thing about the long tie rod is that full droop the tie rod hits the frame and cannot go lower. Therefore adjuster set to lift the front would cause the long tie rod just sit on the frame and limits the amount of lift on the passenger side.
As far as less leaves in the beam, it's supposed to soften the spring rate and give a better ride, but I haven't tried it.

Hope that helps

Doran  
Last edited by dcamomanx on Wed May 01, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1MINT86

Post by 1MINT86 »

Hi Mike,
We're running stock leaf packs without adjusters and Bilstein shocks I did need to re-valve the Bilsteins, with stock valving the front end was to stiff. After softening up the front shocks the front suspension worked pretty good.

Greg & Jeanne Lewin
Member 2805
Tow'd 1679
Dual Sport DS-025
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Thanks for the feed back, I'll leave it alone for now than, I got plenty of things to work on.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)