Steering column for a TOWD

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
pottercountypuddlejumper

Post by pottercountypuddlejumper »

Here in Pa. it is very hard to put a buggie on the street. First I have to figure out how to title it.My TOWD has never been titled or on the road.  My project has been on hold for years, about to get started. I am trying to get my head around all the requirments to be street legal in Pa. as a special constucted titled vehicle, that is the ONLY way . One thing it HAS to have is self canceling turn signals. Has anyone ever put a steering column from a VW in a TOWD so that the turn signals are used?  I appreciate any help ..Thanks... VIC[/b]
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

You could use a muffler clamp or a 1 1/2in universal aluminum buggy clamp (bored out to fit) around column and then bolt it to a flat plate that bolted to stock upper steering mount.

And then use a 1960s bug steering columm bearing at the bottom like what is used at the top to center shaft inside column.

It has been done before, I don't have any pictures of one.

A column up to 1967 would be the easiest to use. This is the one before them came out with a locking one in 1968.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Hey Vic, it's definately time to get your Towd on the road for some "hopping" adventures. I'm not sure whom you contact now (it use to be Winnie), but get ahold of the Club member list for your area, as the Manx Club members are a plethora of info & help.
I'm sure they could offer several ideas for getting it registered.
The self-cancel turn signal isn't a real biggie either, as there are several directions you can go. There are aftermarket turn signal column switches that are self-canceling, as well as factory VW turn signal switches, where you would use the upper section of a stock steering column. That is what I used on my original Manx, but it will work on a Towd too.
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Vic,
I was looking through my Speedway Motors Street Rod catalog www.speedwaymotors.com  and saw the electronic turn signal modules.   If your turns signal only have to be self canceling and not mechical this would be a simple way to go.

A friend told me a few year ago installing them in is Baja Bug.  He liked them as was not using the stock column.
The way they work from what he told me was you pushed a button ( he had two, one for each side) and depending on how long you push the button the turns signals would stay on from a few seconds to having to repush button to shut them off. 

Also by pushing both buttons at the same time they worked for having emergency flasher system.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
pottercountypuddlejumper

Post by pottercountypuddlejumper »

isturtlebuggy & ManxManiac1,   Thanks guys for the input, The steering column from a vw was how I was thinking, guess it shouldn't be too big a deal...  But  I think I would like to stick to how it was originally designed if I can , which leads me to looking into these aftermarket switches you were talking about. Thanks so much to both of you.. I want to do this right... to have a properly titled and licenced Towd in Pa., not an easy feat for a buggy that was designed for off road in a state that is not buggy friendly! My new garage/ workshop is getting nearer to completion, after a lot of years work. Hooking up the electric this weekend! Spring is on the way!   VIC