Towd Clone?

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
manxvair

Towd Clone?

Post by manxvair »

did any body ever clone the towd? A buddy of mine came across a towd but we don't know how to check if it's real or a clone.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
jsturtlebuggy

Towd Clone?

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Yes, by several different sources in the early days.

Fiberjet made one called the Sand Hopper. Later versions of it had a deeper battery well and Tow bar in front was made of receiver tubing instead of round tubing.

Real Tow'd frames made from 2 1/2in OD tubing around outer perimeter. Dual roll bar made of 1 5/8in tubing. Center console has flat area under stickshift, raised area at pedal area and where steering brake handle is. It uses formed metal channel on top to mount stick shift, pedal assem, steering brake handle. I have seen where center console was all fiberglass with shifter bolted to glass on a copy of a Tow'd.

There is more, I just not remembering it all.

Look for tag in center above pedals.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
manxvair

Towd Clone?

Post by manxvair »

So my buddy found this in Az off Hwy 95 near Bullhead, 4 wheel disc brakes with proportioning valve, rack and pinion steering, IRS, 1500 SP with SB carb. fired right up and ran fine. In my opinion not bad for $3000.00. Plus it's ORANGE!

ImageImageImageImage
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
jsturtlebuggy

Towd Clone?

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Great buggy. Does it have a BF Meyers tag on it?
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
marklandon

Towd Clone?

Post by marklandon »

I'm the buddy that got the Towd and where the tag should be is 4 spots for the rivets and no tag but is there another location for numbers?
jsturtlebuggy

Towd Clone?

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Mark,

The only place I know of any tag or numbers would be in the front where you say the holes for the rivets are.

To find out out if it is a real Tow'd you may have to have Bruce or Winnie look at it.

Have fun with it. I wish I could have finished my Tow'd and used it. It went to a good home.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
dcamomanx

Towd Clone?

Post by dcamomanx »

Our tow'd has its id tag above the center tunnel between the gas pedal and were your brake resorvior is.
The rear fenders dont look like the meyers fenders as the meyers fenders did not have the lip
Great tow'd , I was actually trying to convince a friend of mine that he needed it, but I'm glad you got it.

Doran 
marklandon

Towd Clone?

Post by marklandon »

Well here is an up date on my towd I rewired the hole thing and have a new motor for it that will be put in in the next week, its a 2007cc DP with a PICt 34 carb my builder said it will be real torkey motor if I need dul carbs can be next also it has the meyers sidwinder exaust