SubaTowd to Race Norra Mexican 1000 - 2015

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
Brad

SubaTowd to Race Norra Mexican 1000 - 2015

Post by Brad »

Well with the Baja Edition Build well underway and a few of my CRAZY Aussie mates on their way to help me finish a new plan has been hatched to keep the Baja Edition Manxter company out of the track so we have decided to enter the SubaTowd into the race as well.

The Tow'd Team will be headed up by Jim Chamberland from Dunrite Motorsports, his son Steve , OZ Towd ( Andrew) and one other TBC.

The Car they are driving is a 1968 Meyers Manx Tow'd running a 1901 Type 1 VW Engine, Jamar Brakes, and a Subaru 5 Speed Transmission. It has a 181 BJ front beam and a set of UpYerBug 3x3 rear Arms. Ke[t rolling on a set of Method Race Wheels and Fox Shocks.

Of course if it was ready to that would be no fun so in our spare time we are going to do some modifications to keep it fun.

The engine runs a custom adapter plate to allow the Type 1 VW to bolt to the 5 Speed Transmission.

Pretty funny really now we are running adapters on VW engines so we can put in different transmissions

Brad

Re: SubaTowd to Race Norra Mexican 1000 - 2015

Post by Brad »

With 20 Days to go the rest of the Build Team has arrived. After a team meeting someone decided we should do Race Prep on the Meyers Tow'd to get it out the way before we finished off the Baja Edition.

I am not exactly sure WTF Happened next but as you can see from the below video the build of Baja Edition just took on a few distractions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFIUHcmBrhA[/youtube]
Brad

Post by Brad »

Still getting some lovin ..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM5HWdNryYk[/youtube]

Coming to life ..

Brad

Post by Brad »

Brad

Post by Brad »

The Tow'd is coming on well with most of it sort of done and heaps of button up to go. The EJ 25 SOHC engine from SuieWorks at Temeculla is in and ready along with the 5 speed transmission from SubaruGears.

The Rear Coil Overs took a trip to Sonny at DownSouth Motorsports for some tweaking as they were way to hard.

I have begun to wire it and will hopefully do done sometime before tomorrow morning. By then I expect this draw to be a little less full and the buggy to be a lot more done.

The loom is TefZel and Deutsch from Joey at ProWire. It will be fully sealed and anywhere there is any concern it will get dual wall treatment to ensure no issues.

Everything is stressed relieved and checked before close out.

The Engine will be running the stock Subaru ECU with a modified harness. Due to the way I like to do it I start out with a big ass pile of junk .

And when I am finished I have a much smaller pile of coolness. The box seals under the back and acts as a heat sync and protector. It has one 12 pin connector in the side which is how it talks to the outside world and the gauges, ignition etc. After testing in the car it will get sealed and heat shrunk.

The EJ Engine looks right at home in the back and with the SubaruGears 5 Speed transmission and other mods it fitted behind the original engine bar.

Brad

Post by Brad »

So Team Tow'd got to Tune Testing today and the ECU and mods got the thumbs up so are ready to rock. Testing in the sand tomorrow and then bash plates and finishing touches.

The gearing on the SubaruGears 5 Speed Transmission is spot on with the EJ25 and 33" rear tires.

Due to the amount of work Andrew has done the OZTow'd Numberplates are proudly displayed and will be used during the race.

Job done, more to follow after shock testing

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Brad wrote:Image
Fantastic, looks like the start of the race is in sight. If you guys get in a bind during the event, just look at your key chain and remember that all of us are supporting you and cheering for you! I'm certain that this little blue key chain will make a difference at the finish line!

Rock on guys!
Brad

Post by Brad »

It didn't take Sonny long to get the shocks working well.

Image Image

Fox shocks and the Tow'd get on well, once Sonny gave them some love they even worked as you expected.