New buggy builder

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
pottercountypuddlejumper

New buggy builder

Post by pottercountypuddlejumper »

I wanted to say Hi to any and all Towd owners who would help a newby. Have had my Towd for a while now, found it in a shed and was lucky enough to be able to bring it home. Even though I am not a mechanic or worked on VW's. I think I can handle this project with help from friends and hopefully some guidance from some experienced guys like you! I built a new garage/workshop just to do this rebuild. Not quite ready to start yet but thought I would get started getting a Towd education. Can anyone tell me where to get a copy of the original Towd instructions? Thanks in advance for any help, VIC   
towd-dude

New buggy builder

Post by towd-dude »

Vic,
Here is a link to a Tow'd being restored by Dennis Long in California. He belongs to the Manx Club and other loose knit buggy groups who would be more than willing to help you with your project.http://rbcdunebuggy.yuku.com/topic/2313/t/Some-Towd-pixs.html
Also try this link to the Manx Club's other web site. http://manxclub.com/
I ran a Tow'd for over 10 years and enjoyed every mile and so will you.
Bob

edit..  fixed links - t.
Last edited by towd-dude on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pottercountypuddlejumper

New buggy builder

Thanks Bob, Thanks for the link! It was a good one. I am looking at everything I can to get started. One thing that concerns me is registration here in  Pa. I don't think it has ever been licenced on the road, And Pa. is quirky when to comes to kit cars, Rebuildables, ect. Maybe someone has gone through it before and can direct me. I think maybe I will need a donor car with a title to start with. Will be waiting to see if someone responds, Thanks  VIC[/b]
towd-dude

New buggy builder

Post by towd-dude »

Vic,
I know states can be severe pain. I wish you good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Bob
manxdavid

New buggy builder

Post by manxdavid »

I've never had a Tow'd but I love them!!!

Hello from England and welcome to the nut-house!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Tom-Kathleen

New buggy builder

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Potter -You might want to send a PM to member 73SpeedBuggy.  He just got a Manxter registered in PA this year, and may be able to give you some tips.

Here is something else that may help. http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=2555

I know if I tried to get a Towd registered in Connecticut, even with everyting else OK, the lack of a frame that they regognize (like a VW pan) would be a major hurdle.

Good Luck!  Tom 
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
MELFOL

New buggy builder

Post by MELFOL »

Vic: Where are you located?
pottercountypuddlejumper

New buggy builder

[bWill do, not ready to start yet, but will keep you posted . Thanks VIC[/b]
pottercountypuddlejumper

New buggy builder

Tom Kathleen   Thanks for the reply! Will be happy for any and all help! Youu guys seem like a tight group!  VIC 
pottercountypuddlejumper

New buggy builder

MELFOL wrote:Vic: Where are you located?
I am in Potter County PA., which is about 100 miles southeast of Buffalo New York. Thanks for the reply!  VIC 
pottercountypuddlejumper

New buggy builder

towd dude wrote:Vic,
I know states can be severe pain. I wish you good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Bob
Like your name ....Towd Dude.... Pa has always been fun when it comes to registrations, Would be a shame to do all the work and then not be able to drive on the road. That is why I am checking it out first.  Thanks for the reply!  VIC
pottercountypuddlejumper

New buggy builder

manxdavid wrote:I've never had a Tow'd but I love them!!!

Hello from England and welcome to the nut-house!!!
Thanks for the reply, I am still trying to figure this whole forum out, being new and all. But I will get the hang of it. I never knew what a TOWD was till I found it in a shed and started searching. Then figured out the treasure I had. I have owned it for years, never had a place to tear it down , so I built a big garage/ workshop and will soon be ready to start! VIC   

manxdavid

New buggy builder

Post by manxdavid »

Post plenty of photos, we like photos!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
pottercountypuddlejumper

New buggy builder

manxdavid wrote:Post plenty of photos, we like photos!!!
manxdavid,  I will try to get some pictures of it as it sits right now. I have done nothing to it yet so it is in "barn find condition". Covered in good Ole Potter County snow right now, might have to wait till spring! Had some bad weather last week, flooding then snow! It is great to live in the country!  VIC

pottercountypuddlejumper

New buggy builder

MELFOL wrote:Vic: Where are you located?
  Melfol, I am located out in the sticks of Potter County Pa. Near a small town called Shinglehouse. I live in an old farmhouse on what is left of my family's farm, they came here in 1830. Thanks for writing!  VIC     pottercountypuddlejumper