A Tow'd found in Mississippi

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
Bruce-Evans

Post by Bruce-Evans »

Hello to all,great forums here...I am a Knifemaker here in MS and my parents own a small scrap metal yard here also...I was helping them out the other day when a customer shows up with this buggy on a trailer to sell as scrap metal...I almost had heart failure,my wife has always wanted a buggy but here they are rare to find.needless to say I bought it and saved it from the crusher,I searched for days trying to find out what it was as they had painted it's id tag,but I finally found it...I was shocked when I started hunting the forums to find out more about this little buggy...It is a true tagged original Meyers Tow'd,I am thinking it could be a towdster as it has all the componets but the engine cover and has all the snaps for the top cover and door covers,sadly those are gone.Here are the numbers if anyone can help me out to know more about it...

TF513G921E

we have plans torebuild this little buggy and cruise and show it,it will be retired from off road but maybe a little once in awhile for kicks...Got some pics here of it as I bought it at the yard,then after getting it home were my wife and grandson have claimed it..
Thanks for any and all help about my little tow'd.
Bruce

Here is a link to another site were I have my rebuild going.

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/ ... l?tid=2658

Here is a picture of were I am at now with the restoration,before and after pic,

Thanks for looking,
Bruce
MyBlueBuggy

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

Great story! Looking good too! Are those the original front fenders?
Bruce-Evans

Post by Bruce-Evans »

Thanks Tom,Yes those are the original fenders.I stripped that blue paint off and got down to the original gel coat and found lots of little things to fix so it is gonna get repainted,the front fenders are broke but I am going to reglass them so I can keep the originals along with the rear.The rear looks like someone had cut them off shorter so I am going to try and fix them also.

Bruce
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

From your ID tag it looks to be #513, made in 7/1969 and is River Green Metalflake.

Make sure you contact Winnie at Meyers Manx so it can be put in registry as another one found.

I have one that was built in 1968 and was originally a ABS tub that was replaced with a fiberglass one.

The Tow'd was built for someone under 6 foot tall even though I know 2 people that are well over 6 foot that own one.

Tow'd frames where known to crack right in front of the welded on bracket holding the torsion housing if abused.

Great work and have fun driving it.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Bruce-Evans

Post by Bruce-Evans »

Thanks Joseph,I am kind of waiting till I have it all cleaned up and running before I send them the pics and have it registered..

Bruce