Manx Club - East Coast Chapter being formed?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gary0302

Post by Gary0302 »

It is my understanding that a few Manx Club members, here on the east coast of the USA, have been encouraged to create an official east coast chapter of the Manx Club.

Past phone conversations with Bob Hunter and Winnie Meyers (both who were extremely helpful about other related matters at the time) included conversation that this idea was in the works.

Although the 2nd annual “Manx on the Banx” fiberglass dune buggy event (understandingly requiring Manx Club membership) will be held this coming October, it is the only (exclusively) Manx Club – related event east of the Mississippi that is currently scheduled, at least to my knowledge.

My question (addressed to all Manx Club members, but specifically the Board of Directors) is this; what is the reasoning behind the encouragement to form an east coast chapter in the first place, and what significant benefits would there be to those that are in that chapter?

If the benefits for prospective east coast chapter members outweigh the administrative issues, it may be worth endorsing the idea.
If it is just going to create more of an administrative hassle on the backside (sectionalized funding, additional officers, more voting, yearly modified registration forms, sectionalized mailing lists, etc.), I may not be sure that the idea is worth the effort.

I, for one, would like to see a breakdown of how exactly this east coast chapter would be formed, what are the proposed boundries, what would have to take place in the background (administratively, election-wise, funding; all related issues that can be predicted), along with a list of significant benefits for prospective east coast chapter members.
I would like to think that this idea would be worth healthy debate, but it would be great if the facts were laid out in advance for all members to review.

prior to composing and creating the original post for this thread, I have not informed any Manx Club member in advance of my intentions to request this information.
In addition, it was not suggested that I do so by anyone that is connected with the Manx Club; these are my own thoughts and questions, thanks.
Gary Holbrook
Manx Club Member #2831
East Coast Dune Buggies
Coastal North Carolina

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." Dale M.

Check out my skydiving, bungee jumping, and dune buggy videos on Youtube
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Gary,

You ask some good questions.

"My question (addressed to all Manx Club members, but specifically the Board of Directors) is this; what is the reasoning behind the encouragement to form an east coast chapter in the first place, and what significant benefits would there be to those that are in that chapter? " I think that Article I & II of the Manx Club By-Laws answer this question."

"ARTICLE I: NAME AND CLASSIFICATION
The name of this organization shall be the Manx Club. Manx Club is a California
nonprofit mutual benefit 501(C)7 Corporation.

ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
SECTION 1:

The purposes for which this corporation is formed are pleasure, recreation, and other nonprofit
purposes, including preservation and maintenance of motor vehicles of interest and historical value,
serving as an accurate source of technical information about such vehicles, and promoting and
facilitating the common enthusiasm, interests and goals of it’s supporting members. Despite any other
provision of these articles, this corporation shall not, except to an insubstantial degree, engage in any
activities or exercise powers that do not further the purposes of this corporation. Our goal is to
preserve the legacy of the Meyers Manx and the sustainability of the Manx Club

SECTION 2:

In order to facilitate the general purposes, the club is open to all owners and enthusiasts of all makes
and models of fiberglass bodied and brand name pre-fiberglass buggies. The only requirement to
participate is that you must a member and the buggy must be street legal and currently licensed and
insured. Our focus is to give the owners and enthusiasts a single source to share events, technical
advice, kick tires, tell stories, and most of all have fun!
The Manx Club organizes several events for club members throughout the year. The events are fun
runs located at various locations. Our members are located around the world, and are encouraged to
organize their own regional clubs (Article XIII) and events. We will provide venue for information on
those events. The Manx Club website will provide information on events, technical articles, links to

Meyers Manx products, and venders, as well as other clubs news and history."

You will notice that the Manx Club is classified as a 501(c)7 not for profit organization. Because of this IRS classification and several liability & event insurance regulations, the Manx Club can only run events for it's active members. Officially we are required to only do things that are for the members.

In late January, 2012, the petition from several Manx Club members who are in the East Coast area of the United States was approved by the Manx Club Board of Directors. The name of the new regional chapter is the Mid-Atlantic Regional Chapter.

Most of the information you are looking for can be obtained from the following sources;

1. The Manx Club By-Laws contain specific information on this subject. Any Manx Club member, whose dues are paidup,and who has internet access,and has registered on the Manx Club Forum, can review an electronic copy of these By-Laws at; http://www.manxclub.com/pdf/bylaws.pdf

2. I would check with Vince Simansky as to the progress that has been made in terms of who is actually a member of the Regional Chapter, and what the Mid-Atlantic Regional Group's status is as far as complying with the Manx Club requirements.

The territorial limits of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Group are the areas of the following States:

Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina

I hope this helps to clear things up for you.

Joe Spittler - Director
Last edited by DIESELDOOG on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary0302

Post by Gary0302 »

Thanks Joe,

So this is already a done deal?  Understood.  I did refer to the bylaws before creating this post so that I would at least understand the basic concept; my questions were directed more or less to the advantages annd logistics as to how it would apply to in the real world, so to speak.  I will check with Vince to get more details. 
Gary Holbrook
Manx Club Member #2831
East Coast Dune Buggies
Coastal North Carolina

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." Dale M.

Check out my skydiving, bungee jumping, and dune buggy videos on Youtube