Buy vs. Build

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
andrewthieman

Buy vs. Build

Post by andrewthieman »

Newbie alert! I was bitten by the dune buggy bug at last year's NORRA 500. Since then, I've been on the prowl for a Manx. Can't afford Bringatrailer and the used [Craigslist/Facebook] supply in Minnesota is nearly nonexistent. That leaves me with 2 options: buy a cheap donor chassis/buggy and fit a Remastered Manx body, OR, tell me if I'm crazy - buy a beetle and start from scratch. Thoughts?
manxvair

Re: Buy vs. Build

Post by manxvair »

I think it's sometimes a matter of timing, what can be found and what condition the project is in when found, couple that with the desire by the owner to either let it go or further the project. It does take some patience at times. Good Luck with your search. What type of end product are you interested in? Off Road, Street.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
andrewthieman

Post by andrewthieman »

Hey Manxvair, Thanks for the POV. The look I'm after is tall and capable, not low and wide. basically, bone stock + 33" rears, 31" fronts, smoothies, caps, low back buckets, single hoop. Like the green car, here: https://meyersmanx.com/pages/summer-21-lookbook
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Definitely a good look. Good Luck with your hunt.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)