Love for the Meyers Manx 2.0, and known specs

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
FRENZIED

Love for the Meyers Manx 2.0, and known specs

Post by FRENZIED »

Here are some specs I've gleaned from the various articles about the new Manx 2.0:
M_Manx-1.2.png
M_Manx-1.2.png (942.86 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
meyers-manx-20-electric-106.2.jpg
meyers-manx-20-electric-106.2.jpg (569.77 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
  • LWH) 123.5" x 70.3" x 53.3",
  • Weight: 1650lbs for the 40kWh setup, and 1500lbs for the 20kWh setup,
  • Wheelbase: 82.0",
  • Track: ??.?",
  • Front Suspension: Looks like typical VW Beam, trailing arm, ball-joint with shocks. Freeman says this about it, "the front suspension on this design prototype is also Volkswagen, but we are evolving that."
  • Rear Suspension: Independent... multi-link a-arm type of setup,
  • Electronic assist steering,
  • Chassis: all-aluminum monocoque tub,
  • The body (the dark green part) on the prototype is carbon-fiber,
  • Hard-top: Carbon fiber, tilts up from the back for better egress,
  • Front hood houses a spare tire,
  • Tail-lights are LED, and will feature inside-the-cone turn-signals.
  • LG lithium-ion Pouch Battery Pack: 20kWh (3 battery packs) or 40kWh (6 battery packs) @ 150 miles or 300 miles range, respectively. They are air-cooled, and reside behind the seats, under the raised shelf (Winnie calls that raised shelf the package area). Each battery pack weighs approximately 50lbs,
  • Dual electric motors (one for each rear wheel) @ 202hp & 240 lb-ft of torque. No word on the specs of the motor with the smaller battery pack,
  • Inboard-braking! Each motor will have an inboard disc brake!
  • 0-60= 4.5 seconds,
  • COST: $74,000! Freeman Thomas said at The Quail, "it won't be cheap, but it won't be expensive". However, $74k is expensive, but now we know what Freeman thinks is expensive... such as the rest of the half to multi million dollar vehicles on display as The Quail during Monterey Car Week :crazy:
  • Completely Turn-Key, 325/year. Freeman Thomas said (At The Quail), "later we might do knock-down kits"!!!
  • Beta-Testing: There will be 50 Beta vehicles to be tested by 50 people, during 2023, selected by Meyers Manx crew. BOTH "Reserve Your Manx 2.0 EV" (requiring a $500 deposit) and "Join the Manx 2.0 EV Beta Program" have to be completed at: https://meyersmanx.com/pages/manx-2-0-ev.
AtTheQuail-07.2.jpg
AtTheQuail-07.2.jpg (677.31 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Other things learned from a few other interviews and reviews:
  • They are working on a version with doors, windows and heating and air-conditioning,
  • The retro and tricked-out speedometer has a digital central multi-screen display, that will connect with a smart-phone,
  • The six linear chrome things, three to either side of the central dial, are switches.
  • The side mirrors are nod from the VW New Beetle Concept (that Freeman Thomas also designed).
  • The only "cooling" system for the drive-unit is an oil-cooler for the gear-box, which also has an oil filter. It appears that the oil-cooler is a VW Type 3 unit,
  • The windshield frame has an integrated roll-bar,
  • There will be different models and special additions, "there will be versions that will be more extreme to cater to people's tastes.". They're also looking into a race variant,
A review of the Manx 2.0 & Freeman Thomas, by The Autopion at The Quail (4:57 long): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqIG-vjItzI

Another good review by CNET's Brian Cooley, at The Quail (5:14 long): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjjXcpvZPrU

From what I can tell, from that little logo on the side of drive-unit, the batteries and drive-unit are from Vanderhall Motor Works. Go to their website and you'll find a very similar looking drive-unit pictured: https://vanderhallusa.com/. Vanderhall has been manufacturing various street-legal trikes since 2016. J Leno featured them and the owner on one of his episodes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X71spAvmw4. Company sounds legit, and their trikes and some electric UTVs look awesome! Could be that Venderhall is the "U.S.-based Manufacture" that Meyers Manx has partnered with. Vanderhall also has heating and cooling in their electric UTVs! ...I'm looking forward to having a Manx with, at least, a heater!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For comparison:
'64 Old-Red Manx: (LWH) 112.0" x 62.0" x 57.0" @1420lbs, wb: 80.0", track: 51.3"
Last edited by FRENZIED on Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:10 am, edited 20 times in total.
I'm graphic!
GotManx

Re: Love for the Meyers Manx 2.0, and known specs

Post by GotManx »

Thanks for posting the info.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

I am not an EV fan generally, but this little buggy is the future for our hobby. I wish I was one of the "target market", but I'll still enjoy seeing the progress and pictures. For that matter, I wish I was in the Ford GT "target market." :D
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
FRENZIED

Post by FRENZIED »

rzeller wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:03 pm ... but this little buggy is the future for our hobby.
Not only is EV the direction the world is going, but I think there will be a kit-car explosion, as the drive-units and battery packs become more standardized, like the setup Meyers Manx is showing for the Manx 2.0 (It will give creators more time to focus on body design). The drive-system is seriously compact, powerful and has great range for light vehicles. It also looks like it would be really easy to install it. The dash and human-controls for it are what might be a trick. But if Meyers Manx comes out with "knock-down kits", which could be built with the Remastered Manx body, I think the possibilities, for not only buggies, will take off.

Just think, replacing a battery-pack like this, in a Manx, after 100k miles, will be easy, and electric motors typically last a really long time. Coupled with a few solar-panels I think it would really rock!
I'm graphic!
FRENZIED

Post by FRENZIED »

Couple of interior shots.
___
Notice the windshield frame with integrated roll-bar!
___
AtSoho-Meyers-Manx-3.jpg
AtSoho-Meyers-Manx-3.jpg (232.73 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
___
The chrome linear elements, to either side of the central speedometer/display, are buttons.
___
meyers-manx-20-electric-113.jpg
meyers-manx-20-electric-113.jpg (124.52 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
meyers-manx-20-electric-114.jpg
meyers-manx-20-electric-114.jpg (270.18 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
Last edited by FRENZIED on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm graphic!
FRENZIED

Post by FRENZIED »

I'm updating the specs as I discover them.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in all the reviews I've seen and read, is what the body finish is. Will the Manx 2.0 be GelCoat, or are these new Manx's going to be finished with auto-body paint.
I'm graphic!
FRENZIED

Post by FRENZIED »

After have a conversation with Paul Montesano, Director for Supply Chain at Meyers Manx (and watching this interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqZJuHhKLZs), things we learn are:
  • Meyers Manx is getting about 500 pre-orders of the Manx 2.0 per week!
  • They have around 2000 orders!
  • Due to the unexpected popularity, MM is now working towards DOT approval, in some capacity, to be able to produce 5000 vehicles per year. I'm not sure how they stay within the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015, with over 325/year, but there is something about the 5000 limit in the actual law. See it here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... 09E122F6DB . From what I understand, though, MM will need to meet limited safety protocols, such as head-rest, air-bags, windshield-defroster, etc.
  • Meyers Manx is looking to move to a much bigger building to handle everything
Something else learned from going over the "Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015", is that to qualify as the required "replica motor vehicle", the new replica must not deviate by more than 10% from the original vehicle. The dimensions of the new Manx 2.0 are almost exactly within that 10% divergence.
I'm graphic!
FRENZIED

Post by FRENZIED »

A year and a month has passed since the unveiling of the Manx 2.0 EV. I think everybody knows the price of this thing now. It will start at a whopping $74,000! And the first edition Manx 2.0 EV will start at a mind numbing $125,000!!! It's listed on their website: https://meyersmanx.com/products/manx-2-0-ev-deposit

I think it's safe to say that the traditional DIY Manx Enthusiast is completely not the demographic that they are aiming for, now. At the price they've announced, they are in the sports, luxury and race car arena.

Thankfully Meyers Manx is still catering to the DIY enthusiast, with the Remastered Manx body (albeit more than twice the cost of previous MM bodys). ...and hopefully, like Freeman has mentioned many times in interviews, they will release the Manx 2.0 EV as a knock-down kit, along with all the many parts of that monocoque tub chassis.
I'm graphic!