Please help my Identify this Buggy

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Mr. Wolfe

Please help my Identify this Buggy

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Hi guys,

This is my first post so please let me know if I am in the correct area. I know so little about these vehicles, but was always intruiged. A cousin of mine decided to get rid of her buggy and gave me dibs since I have shown interest in the past. We are not close as I see her probably once a year at family reunions. Anyways, can anyone here provide any information on what she has, the value, etc.

Here is what I know:

• Registered as 1972
• Has 1969 Porsche engine
• There is a drain on the battery somewhere which I will need to fix
• She says she paid $6500 a few years back and is offering it to me for the same price
• She knows VERY little about the specifics of the car. She just always wanted one and enjoyed driving it a lot over the past few years
• Seafoam Green
• They have a custom top for it, but sending me pictures of that today
• She says it's a Manx, but I am not sure if it really is

Sorry I know so little, but I should have more/better pictures sometime soon. Thanks to anyone who can shed ANY light on this!

Mr. Wolfe
Mr. Wolfe

Re: Please help my Identify this Buggy

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

It appears I am in the wrong section, sorry.

Mr. Wolfe
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

With only one picture it not going to be easy to tell what it is. With the way the windshield is mounted to the hood, it more than likely not a Meyers Manx.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Mr. Wolfe

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Yeah, I figured as much. I just received these ones.

Mr. Wolfe
Mike-Presley

Post by Mike-Presley »

It’s close to a Manx but not quite. No bump on the front of hood for Manx badge, dash is wrong, cutout around engine is bigger than a Manx. Engine looks more like a Volkswagen more than a Porsche. Many people use the name Manx as a general term for a fiberglass buggy, like Kleenex or Qtips. It’s seems like a nice buggy none the less.
Mr. Wolfe

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Thank you very much Mike.

Mr. Wolfe
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

It is a nice looking buggy, it does have some similar lines like a Meyers Manx.
There was thousand of copies made of a Manx all across the country and around the world.
There were two brothers that bought a Meyers Manx in the early 1960s right after Bruce Meyers started selling them. They bought a body and stopping at many body shop, boat shops, and many other places all across the states charging them to make a splash copy. This why there are so many copies with little changes to the original design.
Bruce did try to sue the copiers but lost in court because the judge did not understand what his patent covered.
Any idea what area the buggy is from? This would help in the search.
No matter who the manufacturer the body all buggies are are a fun vehicle to drive.
You will get a lot of smiles and waves from others while out in your buggy.

That is a VW engine, more than likely a 1500-1600cc with stock carburetor and single port heads.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Mr. Wolfe

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

Thanks Joe. I figured it wasn't an original after an hour of researching. So copies and replicas are not frowned upon? I am truly trying to decide what to do. I am obviously not a purist so I maybe I just buy it and enjoy it?

Mr. Wolfe
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

All buggies are welcome to all the events. Even ones that are not fiberglass. There were buggies that had metal long before Bruce decided to make a body out of fiberglass and members that have them are part of the club.
Bruce came from a background of building sailboats and wanted a buggy to explore Baja with. And his be a artist he wanted something with a little more style. Bruce had friends that had buggies built out of plywood.
You can customize a buggy to your own taste, that what is great about them.
Others that made bodies out of fiberglass came up with their own ideas on how a buggy should, and Some are very nice looking.

This year in July the club is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Big Bear event in Southern California. Estimates of 250 to 300 of all kinds of buggies will be showing up.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095