New menber needing help.

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Bazz

New menber needing help.

Post by Bazz »

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a Manx buggy and have a few questions that may seem simple, but I'm putting them out there for help.

Does anyone have simple directions as to how I remove the bonnet ?

When I fill my tank up, if I fill it more than half way fuel runs out of the front and down to the road making it not very nice to drive as the fumes are coming into the car. Would this be a split tank, or something overflow issue ? If the tank is split where would I guy one from ?

I also want to get my buggy verified as a real Manx and have sent several messages to Winnie Meyers without reply. Any further ideas ?

Lastly how do I upload a picture of my buggy to this site for members to see and maybe give me further advice ?
lastmanx

Re: New menber needing help.

Post by lastmanx »

Bazz, First gas leaks are dangerous. carefully disconnect the battery and don't use the buggy until you fix this issue. you are one spark away from a burnt buggy. The hood is simply removed by drilling out the rivets, or bolts that hold it to the body on the underside of the body above the front tires. It is also a difficult process, if painted be very careful not to scratch the paint. Gas leaks are more often from the gas cap gasket. also the filler neck has a small tube for venting, that a rubber hose should connect to vent to below the buggy. this would cause a leak as you drove and gas splashes about. if it leaks just sitting still then you may have bigger problems, such as a split in tank. In the resource section it tells how to identify a Manx. there is a paid way to certify it as a real Manx also. Winnie is simply to busy to respond directly with you. For quicker response to your questions visit the facebook manx site. Post pictures there of your buggy and many will respond. This forum site is mostly unused or visited by members. New gas tanks are available and easily installed once the hood/bonnet is carefully removed. Most every task on a buggy is simple; but frustrating and aggravating as things that have been together for decades don't want to cooperate. Good luck and take your time. ( as mentioned before GAS LEAKS are a fire hazard!)
rzeller

Re: New menber needing help.

Post by rzeller »

Bazz wrote:Hi everyone,

I have just bought a Manx buggy and have a few questions that may seem simple, but I'm putting them out there for help.

Does anyone have simple directions as to how I remove the bonnet ?

When I fill my tank up, if I fill it more than half way fuel runs out of the front and down to the road making it not very nice to drive as the fumes are coming into the car. Would this be a split tank, or something overflow issue ? If the tank is split where would I guy one from ?

I also want to get my buggy verified as a real Manx and have sent several messages to Winnie Meyers without reply. Any further ideas ?

Lastly how do I upload a picture of my buggy to this site for members to see and maybe give me further advice ?
Welcome,

I'll try to help with your questions. There are possibly many places to look to remove your hood (that's American for bonnet :D ) As mentioned, most hoods are attached by screws, rivets, bolts, etc along the inside of the front fender. Look behind your front tires, and up along the edge where it looks like you would attach the body/fenders to the hood. Sometimes the screws, rivets, bolts, etc are covered by bed liner, crud, and/or paint. Look closely. Secondly, the windshield attachment points will also squeeze against the body and sandwich against the hood. Remove the windshield and look along the edge of the hood that is hidden by the windshield.

Gas leak. I had a massive leak too. Mine turned out to be very poor welds around the filler neck (that had been relocated) and the block off plate (where the filler neck was originally moved from). Additionally and very common now (this also happened to me), the rubber gasket that seals the fuel sending unit to the gas tank will get eaten away by the ethanol in our gas. This is a very likely spot for leaking. It also will eat the plastic parts on the sending unit itself. If your tank is leaking, there are many air cooled VW parts places that have replacement tanks. Do a google search on "air cooled vw parts" and start looking there. Understand, if your original tank has been modified (ie the filler neck moved) you'll need to do the same mods on the new one (make sure you get someone that is REALLY qualified to do the work).

Lastly, pictures. I've created a "how to" in setting up a gallery and how to post pictures. Read this: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3419

Be patient with Winnie. She and Bruce have been doing a lot of traveling lately. She is a one-person shop at Meyers Manx. You might want to send her a tactful, tasteful, follow-up to your request for verification.

Good luck and take your time with your repairs. No doubt, there will be more :D

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing