VW vs Subaru Power

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
grandcru

VW vs Subaru Power

Post by grandcru »

Going to have professionally built a new Manx with either a VW or Subaru engine. Price not a priority. Car will be used for street and some sand on the east coast, Florida. No racing. Thoughts on which engine? Thanking you in advance.
Chicago Joe

Re: VW vs Subaru Power

Post by Chicago Joe »

Leonard,

We have both a Manxter & a KickOut. I prefer the Manxter over the KickOut, and I wish I had a Subaru engine in the Manxter. In fact Subaru engine, Subaru transaxle on a Dave Barrett chassis would be close to the best setup I can think of. Smooth and great performance on both the interstate, or 4 lane highway, and on the sand at Daytona, or the Outer Banks. Great performance on the "Tail of the Dragon" in North Carolina.

If you want to sees various combinations of these vehicles come up to the Manx Club "Manx on the Banx" event in October. There will be a little bit of everything there. Come on up to OBX and kick the tires.

I would suggest that you have a Subaru engine conversion with a Subaru transaxle installed by your professional builder. Unless you are extremely knowledgeable on the various processes for installing each type of power and money appears no huge problem, have a pro do it all. None of us are getting younger, and each day is more precious to all of us senior citizens.

In fact you might consider a Meyers Manx Manxter instead of the Manx or KickOut. A longer wheel base for a smoother ride. A Subaru engine will give you the possibility of heat or AC, You might use the AC more in Florida, more to lower the humidity when on the road.
Joe Spittler - 1118
grandcru

Post by grandcru »

If you go with Subaru, can you have the 4 wheel drive from a Subaru?
Approximately how many horse power from a medium tuned VW and a Subaru?
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I think Subarugears in Australia was working on an all wheel drive setup.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)