Meyers Manx with a turbo corvair motor worth?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
jji19

Meyers Manx with a turbo corvair motor worth?

Post by jji19 »

I am trying to put a ball park value on a Manx with a turbocharged corvair motor, can anyone help? The buggy is in great shape, the motor runs strong and the entire front end was recently re-built. It belong to one of my best friends who passed away a few years ago and his wife is now trying to sell it. I know what he paid for it years ago, but cant find anything comparable for sale now. I would consider buying it but I already have two Manx's and no room for more.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
lastmanx

Re: Meyers Manx with a turbo corvair motor worth?

Post by lastmanx »

First a picture would help in showing condition. In very general terms a dependable running, working, titled buggy of any brand is worth $5000.00 to $6000.00. You can upgrade for the corvair turbo motor around $2000.00. The turbo corvair motor has a lot of power. If the Manx body is still gelcoat (not painted) and has its tag, it is an upgrade in price. With that said , it could be worth $10,000.00 or more if better details are given. The real problem in selling a high value buggy is finding some one with the cash to buy it. $5000.00 and $6000.00 sell because more people have that amount available to spend. Unfortunately most people think Buggys are cheap and inexpensive and sell for about $2000.00. There is not a blue book value on buggys, so normal car financing may not be easy. Your best option is look all over at similar buggy prices and price it accordingly.
jji19

Post by jji19 »

Thanks for the input! The buggy has all its tags and the original gelcoat and its registered with the club. I will post some pics as soon as I get some.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

All good points. Look all around www. you should be able to find something similar for sale. If the buggy is real nice: find the room to keep it. When you decide to sell it avoid the terms "rare, one of a kind, unique ", because they all are. I have restored, built ,and sold over a dozen buggys, kit cars,and bugs. The best tip I can give you, is to not waste your time on tire kickers who know nothing about VW's or buggys. You will find yourself giving a history lesson to a confused student. Also keep in mind you are selling a frame altered, hand built, antique automobile. That fact alone will scare off the timid buyer. Every buyer who answers your add will be in love with the buggy. They will then offer a low bid backing it up with samples on websites showing inferior examples, because that's how you buy a used car:Not a buggy. With that said, I have sold them all when a knowledgeable buyer shows up. They check the engine endplay, brakes, front end, transaxle, and paperwork. They don't ask silly questions like: can you roll it over due to the roll bar, is the shifter adjustable, does it have power steering,how many cup holders , does the heat work, how is it in the snow, where are the doors? I'm not bitter, that was a real sampling of my 30 years selling buggys as a hobby. If you were selling a 1967 Camaro SS, you would expect Camaro experts to be shopping for your car: it's the same thing. The www. and books are full of information if anybody wants to learn, and that buyer will find your buggy to purchase. Good luck.