texas dune buggy group

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

texas dune buggy group

Post by lastmanx »

I saw in the last board meeting, that there is an issue that may affect us all, and the club is donating $2,000. just wondering what it is that the texas dune buggy group is doing that is so concerning?

thanks in advance
Larry member 965
5150bossman

Re: texas dune buggy group

Post by 5150bossman »

I don't have a specific answer, but it may be related to the State of Texas recently trying to wholesale revoke dune buggy and special construction vehicle registrations in an attempt to remove vehicles from the roadway that don't meet their current safety standards. That would be a bad precedent to set for us if it were to get traction in other States too.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

yikes! thank you
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

That is correct, the State of Texas has decided that a Dune Buggy is not qualified to be registered for on-road use. They had started to revoke registration of previously registered Dune Buggies by way of letters and instructing the owners to return their titles and plates.

We petitioned the TxDMV for an administrative code change with the help of Mr. Ron Hinkle a Legislative Consultant.

At this time, the State of Texas is not revoking any more titles but is not issuing any more registration for Dune Buggies.

At the last TxDMV BOD meeting, video available here: http://texasdmv.swagit.com/play/12072017-506, the DMV officials presented a detailed definition of the Federal and State (TX) legislation concerning the fabrication/modification of vehicles and the requirements for titling.

The most concerning findings presented were around the federal legislation on what constitute a manufacturer and the responsibility/liabilities of a hobbyist building a Dune Buggy in their garage. The other concerning findings were around the federal requirements of building a dune buggy today. In the eyes of federal law, a vehicle being built (or modified) today needs to adhere to today's standards (airbags, crash tests, SRS, etc).

The TxDMV has committed to create a committee to review the situation and hopefully amend the administrative code that prevent the Dune Buggy from being registered in the state of TX. The Manx Club is very concerned that this decision of the state of Texas could bleed into other states and we've decided to actively support the local efforts to ensure our hobby can continue.

Hope this helps...
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

it helps, thank you. in my state I am sometimes looked upon as an outlaw, but a open wheeled " T " bucket kit car is applauded.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Watch the whole video http://texasdmv.swagit.com/play/12072017-506 . There is some "scary" stuff in there that may affect all of us if other states start paying attention to the federal laws. Tom
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Quick update from Faron Smith:
Faron Smith wrote: Faron from Save the Texas Dune Buggy Here. Today was a HUGE Success, for many reasons. But the number one reason is because the Board decided to Table the Proposed Rule changes. The Board now realizes that this is a sizable issue, and it has got to be addressed. This leaves us a far smoother path to go down. Had the proposed rules been enacted, we would have to contend with that mess through Legislation. This also means that the Board is looking at this from our point of view, and Kuntz & his Cronies no longer get to sit in the Drivers Seat. You have got to believe me when I say that its rare for a Board to NOT simply Rubber Stamp what the TxDMV Staff puts before them
A couple of REALLY interesting things stand out to me. Towards the end, Kuntz was getting grilled by a board member. I felt that Kuntz could see that he was loosing the Board, as in they were siding with us rather than him. A board Memeber asked Kuntz who started all of this and what was the reasoning for doing so. When watching Kuntz, it looked as tough he slipped up when he said that Texas Automotive Dealers Association (TADA) had a influence on the decision when 217.3 was passed in the first place. Then did all he could to backpeddle what he had just said. Now we know the truth, I just dont know how to make it work for us, YET!
Another interesting thing that happened was when a Board Member asked Kuntz a direct question. (Well, to anyone else on the planet....) Kuntz Smiled and him with that condescending Cheshire Grin as if to say " "Its very complicated". The Board Member looked at him and said, dont sit there and Grin at me answer my question. That same board member also mentioned in a very annoyed tone, that every question that was asked of Kuntz, the response came with a long convoluted answer. It was NICE to see Kuntz squirm, and to see the disappointment on his face as the Board disagreed with him.
Everyone that is reading this needs to understand that this is in fact a Grassroots effort, because we stick together we will continue to have much success! The Board had NO IDEA that we would have 14 people there to oppose this rule. I watched the body language of the board and know that is a huge part of our success today. It was NOT just Faron, Justin, and Ron, this was a group effort and we all need to be thankful that everyone took the time to speak on our behalf. Again, the Board did not expect 14 people to show up. So we the next time, we are going to have to double or even triple that! After all I did say that we are gaining in strength, and we are not going away until we have a comprehensive outcome.
One last thing, and then I will shut up. There is strength in numbers! We have got to start getting more people to join the group, and more people need to get involved!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy/
Let's keep going, we'll prevail this injustice!
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Some one needs to take Kuntz for a ride in a dune buggy, so he can get a smile on his face,: and understand dune buggys are designed for fun - not malice. Before he tries to make fun illegal, because then we'll all be in trouble.