Buggy Insurance

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Dunerunner

Buggy Insurance

Post by Dunerunner »

A question on dune buggy insurance ,I currently have Insurance with Progressive and the policy is up for renewal . The collision section is based on $7500 stated amount and has increased from $165 to $291 on a 6 month policy. The total premium went from $452 to $ 597 . Never had a claim in the 15 yrs we have used Progressive . Insurance is for a daily driver total of 3000 miles yearly. Progressive tells me the increase is due to Southern California changing coverage. My other vehicle has not changed ,this is a 2 vehicle policy. Has anyone had a better experience with this type of coverage. I live in Oceanside California. The reviews online are terrible for specialty vehicles . Thanks in advance Colin
lastmanx

Re: Buggy Insurance

Post by lastmanx »

I live in Massachusetts, so I can't help but. in my state if I classify my buggy as a collector vehicle it can only be driven to car shows or events and limited miles. my overly helpful agent tried to get me collector insurance, they said the buggy had to be a Meyers manix (not a typo) and not driven off road. I told them I did have a Meyers manx , but do drive off road. I have no stated value insurance. I pay about $400.00 a year. if the buggy were smashed it would be a long hard fight to prove the actual $20,000 value of the signature series buggy. but it is what I will have to do. I am not limited on where I drive or of miles. the excise tax is $25.00 a year based on a $200.00 vehicle.
the off road beach I drive on is constantly threatened and highly regulated. I pay whatever I have to in order to drive and use my buggy on and off road. some day it may be illegal, so I enjoy the hell out of it while I can. in my state nobody cares about buggys, i'm often looked at as a rebel doing something illegal. I suggest you drive and enjoy your buggy while you can.