Seeking mentor and enthusiasts in Portland, OR area.

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Blackshirt

Seeking mentor and enthusiasts in Portland, OR area.

Post by Blackshirt »

Hello,
My son purchased this buggy and we are looking forward to getting into it and tweaking, updating and general tinkering. Looking to see if there are any of you guys in the Portland area.

This is not a Manx, and we aren't sure exactly what it is yet but it is FUN!
1961 VW pan
1974 1600cc motor, built to a 1644 if I understand correctly.
It runs, drives and is in overall great condition and even came with a custom top. Most of all my son loves it and we are having fun driving it around before the PNW weather sets in. He was 15 when he bought it a month ago and just tuned 16 but won't have his license until after football season finishes up, just no free time. That gives us the winter to toy around and learn about it.

All in all, it seems to be $1500 well spent. It was his hard earned and saved.

First thought, seats and shoulder belts...

Any input, ideas or whatever is appreciated.

FulsGld

Re: Seeking mentor and enthusiasts in Portland, OR area.

Post by FulsGld »

I'm three hours east of you. What are your driving plans for it? Will it be street only or will there be some off-road stuff (sand, woods, fire trails, river crossings)???
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
langan

Post by langan »

Cool car. I am 6hrs away up in Sequim. I always have advice
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Wow, where to begin... First, congratulations. That looks like a sweet ride. Some considerations that will affect the form and function of the buggy. An experienced driver can get away with it as it is (more of the old-school style). If you are looking to do primarily off-road, I would consider a body lift to get more tire clearance. Who will be driving it most? Sounds like it will be your son. If so, I would consider a few safety modifications. I would start with a pair of high-back seats, and five-point belts. I would then put in a four or six point roll cage with side-bars. The standard hoop roll bar is only good in static (slow speed) roll overs. If there is any speed involved, it will just fold over and be of no use. There are many other mods you could do too, but I would consider these a priority. You don't want something tragic to happen when you are out just trying to have fun. :mrgreen:

Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

Thanks to all who responded.
My son won’t be driving it on his own until next summer, after several months of good driving has been established.

These are photos taken from the web that represent the direction he wants to take the buggy.

FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Looks like street use only...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
langan

Post by langan »

I have both type buggies one like you want to build one more off roadish. Both fun the low one gets way more attention but the off road one is funner.47332910
Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

FulsGld wrote:Looks like street use only...
That is his plan for now. But I could see it easily changing. There seem to be nearly endless options.
Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

JJLangan wrote:I have both type buggies one like you want to build one more off roadish. Both fun the low one gets way more attention but the off road one is funner.47332910
Nice to have the choice. Both look great!
langan

Post by langan »

Lots of great ideas on the Samba forum