VHF Radios

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
BUGNFUN

VHF Radios

Post by BUGNFUN »

VHF radio questions. I was considering a CB radio for my buggy for excursions then came across the article on radios from Rugged Radio in the latest Manx Mania. For those using VHF:

• are there special frequencies or channels that the Manx Club uses?
• Is there benefit to using VHF when traveling like a CB. Is there a channel comparable to Channel 19 on VHF?
• Do you need a Ham radio license to operate?

Thanks for any input.
Scott Schroder
Safari
vincent9993

Re: VHF Radios

Post by vincent9993 »

Great questions, throughout our travels we've used VHF radios and the range has been much better than CB.

• are there special frequencies or channels that the Manx Club uses?
As the club is only starting to get our members to adopt these radios, I don't believe we've adopted a specific frequency but you'll want to check with the event organizer at the driver's meeting.

• Is there benefit to using VHF when traveling like a CB. Is there a channel comparable to Channel 19 on VHF?
The FCC/CRTC has opened up 5 frequencies for public use that don't require a license. Those are called MURS frequencies:
151.820 MHz
151.880 MHz
151.940 MHz
154.570 MHz
154.600 MHz

• Do you need a Ham radio license to operate?
As long as you stick to MURS frequencies, you don't need an HAM license.

One word of caution, the readily available VHF/UHF radios (RH-5R, UV-5R, etc) are wide open and allow you to program pretty much any frequencies including restricted emergency services (police, fire, etc). I recommend you do a little bit of research before you start using this radio behond the MURS frequencies listed above.

Here's the MURS wiki page for ref:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service
BUGNFUN

Post by BUGNFUN »

Thank you for the great info. I'm sure that Rugged Radios can help out with frequency selection as well. VHF sounds like the way to go.
Scott Schroder
Safari
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

So have we as a group settled on VHF, or is UHF in the mix also? I was looking at one of the 25 watt dual band radios as an option. I would think that would give us the most flexibility for the least amount of money.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

I would say that until someone confirms we can piggy back on their licensed frequency, we should stick to MURS on VHF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Everyone should study & take the 2 meter ham test & then purchase a hand-held 2 meter radio!!! Much better range & easier to contact someone in case of an emergency!!! It would be good to carry in your car/pu or motorcycle too!!! Do a search on 2 meter ham radios, a ton of info out there!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I have obtained several different radio's from Rugged, 5,25 50 & 60 watt units in both single band VHF & dual band VHF, UHF. I also sent them all back to have a specific VHF frequency added to the pre-programed group. In none of my communications was I informed that I would need to be licensed. I will reach to RR and ask for clarification though.
On another note, this past weekend at the Borrego event as the leader of the run I used the Rugged Radios RM25R as my primary radio, I was able to clearly communicate with my sweep that had the 50 watt VX2200 VHF and another member using one of the RH-5R radios donated and won by a club member Friday night. We were several miles apart and I was half way down the canyon. I'm sure that wouldn't have worked with a CB as last year on the same route we had to pass the message's forward and back from cb to cb.
The Rugged Radio site is loaded with little video clips answering tech questions.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
Ed Chenal

Post by Ed Chenal »

The FCC limits the transmitter power on the MURS channels to 2 watts. Just so you know.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/multi-use-r ... rvice-murs
Ed Chenal

Post by Ed Chenal »

5150bossman wrote:So have we as a group settled on VHF, or is UHF in the mix also? I was looking at one of the 25 watt dual band radios as an option. I would think that would give us the most flexibility for the least amount of money.
The MURS frequencies are VHF as described by Vincent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

An FYI, there still seems to be some licensing concerns that Vincent & I are working to resolve. We will post the info when have it cleared up.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

We now have this matter solved with a Manx Club license for the use of designated frequencies. Please see the pinned post on the top of this topic page.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
BUGNFUN

Post by BUGNFUN »

That's great. Good job on obtaining the license and thanks!
Scott Schroder
Safari