Opinion of Value?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
justinrsmith23

Opinion of Value?

Post by justinrsmith23 »

Hey everyone new user here. I tried lurking through the for sale threads to get a decent opinion of value on a body, but didn't see anything recent that made me more sure. All my searching is mostly coming up with complete cars.

I know an opinion is just that, and it is what am I willing to pay more than what it is worth. The issue is I already have a non Manx buggy that I have wanted to build for some time. The Manx purists might kill me if I did my ideas to an actual Manx. I've been looking for a pan to build on, and found what appears from my short amount of time searching possibly a decent shape Manx?

The front tag, style of the hood and apron, and one picture shows what looks like the spare tire well make me think it could be authenticate based on my readings. Before I go look at it and try to find tags I thought I might should know what the body alone is worth. I am just hoping some of you that have them and might have heard what people have paid recently could give me a range within a few hundred bucks. Also, if you think it is a clone please point out why.

I figure if it isn't authenticate its worth around $100-200 based on what I've been offered for my other body. I know what I need to look for in the pan and what it would cost somewhere else. The motor (a 1300 cc) isn't going to be worth much to me so I would try to off load it. I guess I'm already at the cost I should just buy it. :lol:

Pictures here since I'm new and can't post pictures (I guess): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks in advance,
Justin
5150bossman

Re: Opinion of Value?

Post by 5150bossman »

First off, welcome into the light 8) . Now you can actually see all the crazy people infected with this hideous buggy infection... :crazy: :shock: While I can't offer any opinion on a reasonable price, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what you are looking for. Keep in mind that just because it's a Manx body, that doesn't by itself justify an inflated price. Be sure to take the current body and gel coat conditions into account. While it's hard to tell in the pics, it looks a little rough. All the exterior hardware and windshield have to be replaced, and the paint and fiberglass work to get it back into decent condition can get pricy on their own.
justinrsmith23

Post by justinrsmith23 »

Thanks for the welcome! I've been infected for a while - actually bought the clone about 14 years ago, but have never gotten started on it. In my area, I'm struggling to find a complete bug or pan to put under it. I'm thinking if the pan is solid I'll offer enough for that alone, and if I get it, two buggy bodies are better than one right?!
langan

Post by langan »

Buy it and get started. Starting is the hardest part. You will most likely replace everything in time anyway. Thats fun too. Always something to make better on a bug. No single part is very expensive even a new body is less than paint.