New member intro and request

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
bclem

New member intro and request

Post by bclem »

Hi everyone, new member here but I've been working on VWs for 45 years now. I'm a retired mechanic but stay busy working on and building old VWs, Harleys and the occasional Porsche or Mercedes. I just drug an old fiberglass buggy out a honeysuckle patch that I "think" is an early Manx but it has a couple of features that don't jibe so I'm hoping that some folks who are deeper into these particular cars can help me figure out what this little guy is. The things that make me think it's a Manx are 1) it has the correct ABS dash with metal reinforcement 2) correct design of rear tail area 3) correct battery and spare tire wells 4) reinforcing tubes under the sides.
The stuff that bugs me are 1) no nose bump 2) no side dents in hood. The rear package shelf has been cut away where the OG data plate was. It also has a flat steel windshield frame.
Any theories or observations ? I'll try to figure out how to add some pics.
Thanks.
Last edited by bclem on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bclem

Re: New member intro and request

Post by bclem »

I put some pics in an album here. Hope y'all can see them.45314535453645374529452845274538
Last edited by bclem on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

please see the resources section and click on the how to identify a Manx it will help you out. If you want quick opinions on it; I say no for the reasons you mention. Now the good news many on ebay and other sites will sell what you have (unverified)
without mentioning the obvious negating factors for big $$. Also some are selling exactly what you have (a project) untouched for about $4000.00 , you will have to make up a very colorful story to go with it mentioning how very, very, rare it is and the wonderful condition it is in. say something like easy fix just needs reassembly. The reality is you simply have another non working dune buggy project. it will take time and money to get finished. if you keep it : it will be worth the time and money and fun. if you want to build it to sell as a completed buggy for big profit; forget it . finished running nice buggys sell for $10,000 and up. usually it will cost that much to get one done. for some odd reason people won't pay those fair prices. just wanted to catch you up as your question is the most asked. do whatever you want. look all over the sight most questions you will have, have already been asked and answered. read the history and archive stuff first as it is were your buggy came from. keep smiling.
bclem

Post by bclem »

Thanks for the kind words :-) As I mentioned this ain't my first rodeo ;-) I''ve been doing this for many years and I've built several Manx style (even a few real ones) buggies, rails, Bajas and even a few VW based kit cars like the old Gazelles, Bugattis and one Bradley GT. However I am by no means an expert on all things Manx hence my coming here for advice. My plans for this car is a semi period correct (late 60s) backyard built Buggy that closely follows the style of Bruces #1 car. Red paint, black '64 seats, white widened 5 holes, windshield and roll bar. White '64 steering wheel, instruments,switches etc. I already have most of that stuff in my horde as well as a dolled up 40horse I just got through building from the crankshaft out. It's basicly stock except for an early baby bug spray on a chrome intake and some custom pipes I made.

My biggest question/confusion on this car is the ABS dash but no nose bump. Like I said, I'm not a Manx expert but to my knowledge Meyers was the only builder to ever use the ABS dash ??? I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that not all the early cars had a bump ?? Did you look at the album I posted ?
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

The builder could have resourced the dash and support from somewhere else if the kit maker didn't have there own. I can't tell for sure on that 1 picture of the dash support, when you have a chance post a couple more from different angles, I have one lying around to reference off of.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
bclem

Post by bclem »

manxvair wrote:The builder could have resourced the dash and support from somewhere else if the kit maker didn't have there own. I can't tell for sure on that 1 picture of the dash support, when you have a chance post a couple more from different angles, I have one lying around to reference off of.
I can do that, thanks. Have you ever seen a non Manx kit with a plastic dash ?45404539
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

The hood is definitely not Manx, but can you tell if it is the original hood for the body? The hood looks to be hand laid fiberglass while the body by the reinforcing tubes seems to be chopper gun. Can you see if the original gel coat on the hood matches the original gel coat on the body?
bclem

Post by bclem »

GotManx wrote:The hood is definitely not Manx, but can you tell if it is the original hood for the body? The hood looks to be hand laid fiberglass while the body by the reinforcing tubes seems to be chopper gun. Can you see if the original gel coat on the hood matches the original gel coat on the body?
I'll need to do some detective work but I'm starting to suspect the car had some nose damage and was repaired with a 3rd party donor nose piece and hand laid backing to tie it all together. When I get to the point in the body work where I'm restoring the hood i'll grind down enough into the glass to test my theory.