Old Records

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Manxmama

Old Records

Post by Manxmama »

I recently bought a Manx. I am the second owner. The previous owner had it for 45+ years and recalls receiving it and putting it together. When it arrived, from B.F. Meyers & Co. (not a dealer) he also received a letter asking if he would like to invest in the B.F Meyers & Co. I know it is an early model, somewhere in the 60s. It does not have an ID tag.

I then decided to have it authenticated. So I took pictures (which were pretty bad and not clear) and sent off the documentation. I received a response saying it was a copy. Horribly disappointed, I contacted the person that sold it to me. He insisted it was shipped to an address in Illinois and the full name of the person it was shipped to. He either no longer has or cannot find those documents (although I'm sure he is searching for them as I write this).

When I compare all the identifying characteristics of this body to a Meyers Manx, I see all the proper identifiers (as I say, I am lousy at taking pictures of the dark undersides of the vehicle.

It is in need of major restoration, although I am going to try and salvage the original finish. I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it if I can't get it certified. If that's the case, I will do a basic resto. If I can get it authenticated, I will pull out all the stops.

Does anyone know if there is any place that has the records of the company. That information all went with the company when Bruce left the company in 1970 and it has not been shared. The second owner still retained it in 1994.

This is kind of a last ditch effort for me, other than bringing it back so I can have someone see it in person that is qualified to authenticate and register it as an actual Meyers Manx.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
ManxManiac

Re: Old Records

Post by ManxManiac »

I would suggest having someone (even if you have to pay them) that is good at taking sharp clear photos, take the necessary photos & send them in!!! Since I haven't seen the ones you sent in, I wouldn't want to try & guess, just as Bruce & Winnie wouldn't either!!! If it's not clear, then they would have to guess & I don't think they would do that!!! LOL Good Luck!!!

You can have just as much FUN FUN FUN in one brand of f/g buggy, as you can in any other brand!!! It's all about having FUN FUN FUN & enjoying life to its fullest!!! I've heard Bruce Meyers say several times, that "owning an original authenticated Meyers Manx buggy, is sort of like owning a Tiffany lamp, you really want an original, but in the scheme of things, a "clone" or copy will get the job done just as well", though not as valuable!!! As Bruce always says... "More Smiles Per Mile" when you are driving a f/g buggy, whether it's a Meyers Manx or not!!! Most folks have no idea what the differences are!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22