newbie buggy tips: the test drive

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

newbie buggy tips: the test drive

Post by lastmanx »

when considering purchase of used buggy, the test drive is very important. first can it be driven on road, is it still registered with plate,is owner still using it, if yes :drive it does it pull to side when braking?, does it stop? turn? does it pop out of gear? do lights, turn signals, wipers work? transaxles pop out of reverse or pop out of 4th gear. you can hold shift lever to keep in reverse. and a bungee cord will hold it in 4th. it will work like that for a while but it needs a tranxaxle! don't fall for any excuse:needs bungee because rear tires are soooo big, its just not true. if you can yard drive you wont get to 4th gear but try it. in 4th it will stall, but it wont pop out of gear. you should jack up front to check ball joints bearings tie rods.learn how if you don't know what to do. if seller is honest he wont mind, if he does he's hiding something. remember you are buying a modified custom antique auto. you are not buying sellers reputation. what you find good or bad about the buggys condition may not change sellers asking price.but it may change your offering price. but at least you will be making an informed decision on its condition.the seller may know less about the buggy than you now do, but still feels its the last one around. feelings are not mechanical condition. be as informed as you can,because as the new owner you will have to pay or fix it yourself. if you cant drive the buggy: you cant check a lot of things. if it doesn't run or drive or stop you are buying a non functioning buggy (think Judge Judy, she would laugh at you if you tried to sue, as you got what you paid for a non running buggy) I buy non running buggys cheaply and when they need everything I deal with it knowing how I bought it. lots of time I walk away. learn all you can .
LEFTY

Re: newbie buggy tips: the test drive

Post by LEFTY »

I cannot agree more with your statement. First time buggy buyers are unaware of problems that most buggies have. I cannot stress the importance of a test drive and a visual inspection. This website warns people and tells them what to look for.
http://www.meyersmanxforsale.com/before ... dune_buggy Lefty