Looking to buy our first Buggy (Real Manx)

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
jhkinca

Looking to buy our first Buggy (Real Manx)

Post by jhkinca »

New to the forum and this will be my first post.
My wife and I will be searching for our first buggy, we would like to purchase a real Manx. I have read the information on how to identify a real Manx but feel it is possible to end up with a clone.

I'm looking at a Manx that has the front and back emblems (based on the pics it is hard to see the hood bump under the emblem), the body lines look correct, the back seat area has the molded battery box and spare tire well. There is no body tag and it has never been verified. So here is my first "dumb" question;

Were there any clone bodies that had the all of these features?

I will see the buggy later this week and really want to avoid buying what looks to be real, then going through the verification process and be told otherwise.

Thanks for any and all help.
Last edited by jhkinca on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John & Sonya Kieslich
rzeller

Re: Looking to buy our first Buggy (Real Manx)

Post by rzeller »

jhkinca wrote:New to the forum and this will be my first post.
My wife and I will be searching for our first buggy, we would like to purchase a real Manx. I have read the information on how to identify a real Manx but feel it is possible to end up with a clone.

I'm looking at a Manx that has the front and back emblems (based on the pics it is hard to see the hood bump under the emblem), the body lines look correct, the back seat area has the molded battery box and spare tire well. There is no body tag and it has never been verified. So here is my first "dumb" question;

I will see the buggy later this week and really want to avoid buying what looks to be real, then going through the verification process and be told otherwise.

Welcome to forum. The short answer to your question is yes, there were many clones that were "almost" identical to the original. Best suggestion is to take a lot of pictures of the identifiable characteristics and post them here. Ask for opinions but understand that the ultimate authority are Bruce and Winnie. If you continue to have some doubt after the forum member's opinions, ask Winnie. It might cost you a few $ but it is their blessing you'll need for official authentication.

Lastly, and you'll hear this from many, is that a clone or any other manufactured buggy is a lot of fun to own. If you want a Meyers Manx, make sure that's what you are buying.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

rzeller wrote:

Welcome to forum. The short answer to your question is yes, there were many clones that were "almost" identical to the original. Best suggestion is to take a lot of pictures of the identifiable characteristics and post them here. Ask for opinions but understand that the ultimate authority are Bruce and Winnie. If you continue to have some doubt after the forum member's opinions, ask Winnie. It might cost you a few $ but it is their blessing you'll need for official authentication.

Lastly, and you'll hear this from many, is that a clone or any other manufactured buggy is a lot of fun to own. If you want a Meyers Manx, make sure that's what you are buying.

Bud
I have pictures but haven't figured out how to post them yet.
John & Sonya Kieslich
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

jhkinca wrote:
rzeller wrote:

Bud
I have pictures but haven't figured out how to post them yet.
Here are the instructions: http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3419
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Thanks for the posting of pics instructions.

The current owner says it's on a 1956 pan and he could not find body tags.
John & Sonya Kieslich
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

I'm going to look at this buggy in person tomorrow; aside from the standard list of items; Is there any other things to check?
John & Sonya Kieslich
aburger01

Post by aburger01 »

It's on eBay, iffy, suspect. Close call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

jhkinca wrote:I'm going to look at this buggy in person tomorrow; aside from the standard list of items; Is there any other things to check?
Take pictures of the following and post them up:

Under the front fenders looking toward the back. You are looking for glassed-in tubes.
Front "fire wall" (under the gas tank - the outside of the area of the tub where your feet go). You are looking for a glassed-in small piece of 2x4 (used to pull the body from the mould).
Rear "fire wall" (behind the engine). You are looking for a glassed-in small piece of 2x4 (used to pull the body from the mould). While you are in this area try to see evidence that an ID plate was once mounted (mounted from inside the car with rivets) to the area of the tube near the transaxle nosecone. If it was there at one time then you might see body filler poking through the back side of the tub.
Up under the dash (from the backside). Manx I's had a metal framing structure to support the dash, steering column, and hood (under the windshield).

Good luck.
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Bud,
Very helpful information. I greatly appreciate the tips. Look for more pics tomorrow afternoon.
rzeller wrote:
jhkinca wrote:I'm going to look at this buggy in person tomorrow; aside from the standard list of items; Is there any other things to check?
Take pictures of the following and post them up:

Under the front fenders looking toward the back. You are looking for glassed-in tubes.
Front "fire wall" (under the gas tank - the outside of the area of the tub where your feet go). You are looking for a glassed-in small piece of 2x4 (used to pull the body from the mould).
Rear "fire wall" (behind the engine). You are looking for a glassed-in small piece of 2x4 (used to pull the body from the mould). While you are in this area try to see evidence that an ID plate was once mounted (mounted from inside the car with rivets) to the area of the tube near the transaxle nosecone. If it was there at one time then you might see body filler poking through the back side of the tub.
Up under the dash (from the backside). Manx I's had a metal framing structure to support the dash, steering column, and hood (under the windshield).

Good luck.
John & Sonya Kieslich
ManxBug

Post by ManxBug »

Not all pre-tags have the 2x4's.
The glassed tubes on the side and metal dash frame should tell the story.
So far it looks like a Manx to me.
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

I decided not to look at this buggy; too many unknowns and I'm not knowledgable enough to make the call. I feel better buying one that has been authenticated or save some money and buy a non Manx buggy and just have fun with it...
John & Sonya Kieslich
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Hopefully you know that you can buy a new Meyers Manx buggy kit. Bruce & Winnie offer 4 different buggy kits.
There is the Meyers Manx Kick Out Traditional that looks like the earlier Manx, but with improvements. The front hood opens like the first 12 Manx's did. Easier to get to wiring and gas tank, plus storage space. Widen rear fenders and larger opening for engine accessibility.
The Kick Out SS is the street version with a curved windshield. Looks fast just standing still.
Both Kick Out use a shorten 80in wheel base chassis.
There are also a Manxter and Manxter Dual Sport which use the stock length wheelbase of 94.5in of a VW Bug.
The Manxter is better riding with the longer wheel base and it has the opening front hood. It also able to carry four people more comfortable then the shorter buggies or carry more stuff behind the front seats.
The Manxter Dual Sport is the off road capable version with taller body for more tire clearance and the use of longer travel suspension for rougher terrain.

Contact http://www.meyersmanx.com or phone (760) 749-6321 for more information.

I am bias somewhat as I have a Kick Out and Manxter Dual Sport. The Kick Out is a blast to drive around town and for longer distance of driving the Manxter is more comfortable on my old body.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Those are two very nice looking buggies.
John & Sonya Kieslich
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

ManxBug wrote:Not all pre-tags have the 2x4's.
The glassed tubes on the side and metal dash frame should tell the story.
So far it looks like a Manx to me.

Yup, agreed on the 2x4s but identification is an accumulation of evidence :lol:

I watch a lot of CSI 8)
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Gee Bud, does that make you a cancelled has-been too???? :roll:
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502