Huge Mistake, Bruce and Winnie Meyers

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
ManxManiac

Re: Huge Mistake, Bruce and Winnie Meyers

Post by ManxManiac »

Milo... I have a real authenticated original Meyers Manx 1!!! Since buggies are only "original" once, when you first build the kit, I suppose I shouldn't really use that term, especially since I changed her S22 Yuma Yellow to Bright Orange when I completely "re-built" her about 15 years ago!!!
Over the last 15 years, I've been offered some crazy money for her, but I didn't sell her!!! She, her name is Xena, is part of our family!!! She has taken us on many adventures & always brought us home safe!!! As far as we're concerned, Xena is "priceless"!!!

We are pretty much semi-retired now, but for many many years, we bought & sold antiques & collectibles of all types!!! What folks buy now in this world "has & is" changing & not for the better!!! Some classic & collector cars are worth a pretty penny, but finding someone to buy them is a whole different ballgame, than it has been in the past!!! Collector automobiles go up & down in value, like everything else does!!! Just checkout the guy in Canada that sold 100 collector cars to someone in China & they are building a massive museum to house them!!! He tried to find a buyer here in North America, but those with the means to buy them, looked the other way!!! The newest generations do not want the things that our generation hunted & bought!!! The gentleman that sold the 100 automobiles said no one in his family wanted these fabulous vehicles... nope, they only want the money!!!

I suggest you find something else to buy, repair/rebuild & sell to make your fortune!!!

Though f/g buggies have "come around again" for the second or third time, they didn't bring the high values with them!!! By all thoughts, f/g buggies should be way up on the value scale, but they aren't... however, they are the No.1 favorite FUN FUN FUN car!!! You build or re-build it yourself or farm out the work & you build it exactly the way you want it & then the most important part... you meet up with "like minded folks" & have more FUN FUN FUN than you ever thought possible!!! You & the others share your love & experiences, you break bread together, BFF - best friends forever & once your facial muscles get use to the smiling, so it doesn't hurt quite as bad, you get a smile on your face that is infectious!!! Your hands & arms develop from all of the waving & thumbs up... you just can't put a true price on any of this!!!

I checked out your website & while "you or whomever" does really nice work, you shouldn't use the term "restored" when referring to your buggies that you have re-done!!! As someone else pointed out, you rebuilt it, you didn't restore it, it's not period correct!!! It can only be considered to be restored, if you re-did it to the exact specs it was, when the original builder put it together!!!
I do applaud you for trying to get these Meyers Manx buggies back out on the road or trail... I just feel your goals are slightly askew & need to be corrected!!!

As to having Meyers Manx only events... other makes of cars & their replicas may be able to get away with it, but f/g buggies are a whole different breed!!! Your thinking that it would increase their value is way off base too!!! Maybe you need to enroll in a local college & study "business administration" or a "marketing class", you would greatly benefit from them!!! Maybe even hire an "ad company" to help sell your buggies!!! Just thinking & trying to help!!! Another thought is that maybe you should start rebuilding the other brands of f/g buggies out there, as your initial purchase price would be a lot less than an original Meyers Manx & you should be able to sell them for a decent price/profit!!! Also... organize a gigantic f/g buggy event & get folks from all over the country/world to come & you would certainly have a successful endeavor!!!

Well... I hope you read my post several times & let it all sink in!!! Capitalism isn't always easy!!! If you give the folks a good product at a reasonable price, they should beat a path to your door!!! Good Luck in your future adventures... Michael the ManxManiac
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
Mr Towd

Post by Mr Towd »

What a stupid conversation! :crazy: We Dune buggy guys just need to stick together. I have owned just about every Meyers body configuration. Yes They have a higher value only because of history. I would never "dis" the others like you have. In your mind, A Cobra show would not allow the kit cobras to attend their reindeer games.
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Wow!

Why would you want to not include more buggy's? It's like it is counter-productive. Build the hobby, welcome all in. It is about fun, smiles, socialization, friendships and driving a buggy. The free spirit that Bruce had when he built the first ones in his garage. I like shiney, I like original gell coat, I like big and small tires, crazy colors, and the crazy people that own them.

I do have two certified Meyers Manx and a Tow'd, but I always refer to them as buggys. I have owned 10 other clones and enjoyed them just the same as I do my current one.

I think the OP is just in it for the money flipping, and not the love of the hobby. If all you are trying to do is eliminate other buggy's to increase the value of yours for re-sale, your heart is not in the right place in this hobby.

That is my opinion and I stand by it.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Wow i'm late to this topic, I own signature series # 49. I bought it thinking it would be one of the last 100 original real Meyers manx on earth. NOT!!! I built it with all new parts in 2000 cost of $15,000 plus my labor. Took 1 year to build. It is not for sale. Yes nobody cares it's a signature series. People see the Bruce Meyer emblem on the rear and think my name is Bruce. Here is the real issue with value of dune buggys, it is generally worth the value of sum of parts. People who understand the difference in quality of good thick fiberglass and design will see it in a real Manx. Newbies and first time buggy owners will not, until they have a thin bodied copy. It is up to you as a seller to impress upon the difference of quality to the customer, and if you lower your price shame on you. I buy sell build buggys and always make a profit. I make bigger profit on less than perfect buggies (needing little finishing). The problem is more people can afford to spend $1000.00 - $5000.00 than $20,000.00. All customers of mine were first time buggy buyers and looked at the buggy as just another used car with a set blue book value. With stupid questions of where are the cup holders, how is the heat, how's it go in the snow. If I sell one with no top, What do I do in the rain? If I sell one with nice top they say they will never use the top and the top adds no value to the buggy. They will show buggys priced for less not realizing they are projects needing engines etc. It is what it is. GET OVER IT its a nice day outside go drive your buggy