Low-sided Meyers Manx!!!

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
ManxManiac

Low-sided Meyers Manx!!!

Post by ManxManiac »

Yesterday Patricia & I were at the local "5 times a year" big flea market all day! I met a fellow wearing an older "Manx Dune Buggy Club" cap & of course we talked for awhile about buggies! I told him about selling Xena & why! He gave me the phone number of his neighbor that lives in an exclusive gated community, because he has a low-sided original Meyers Manx & he might be willing to sell it!
So this morning I give the guy a call & we made an appointment to go checkout this low-sided Manx! We arrive at his gate & announce our arrival & the gate opens!
Before I go any further, he would not allow any photos of the buggy or his garden!!!
So we get out & it looks fabulous! It has a BF Meyers & Co. tag from Fountain Valley, CA & the following ID number... M****H8S13... he didn't mind me telling what the ID was, but asked that I leave out the actual number! As you know, M=Manx, ****= the production number, H=Aug.,8=1968 & S13=Tangerine Red (it wasn't 13S) though it looked more orange! It had the nose badge on the hood & the "MANX" badge on the rear! The proper looking tubes under the fenders & a ABS dash that was in fantastic condition! It had VW stock "66-67 centers" that were chromed & the wheels all round... 15"X4.5" on front & 8" wide on the rear! It has a swingaxle transaxle with 66 Bus reduction gear boxes & Johnny No-Hop Kits installed! When he built it between late 1968 & early 1970, a machinist friend helped him build a set of front & rear disc brakes too! The engine is a 1966 Corvair 140hp with stock 4 carbs in place!
This buggy is fantastic & it has low sides that were done about 15 years ago by a neighbor that has a body shop that specializes in fiberglass repair! It seems the old guy & his wife were having difficulties getting in & out of the buggy & while it was taken apart for refreshing, his neighbor made the offer to lower the sides & he took him up on it! It looks like a shortened Manx Resorter!!! Very cool! He just recently mentioned to the neighbor I talked to, about maybe selling it, as none of his family is interested in it! The body guy did such a great job of matching the original gelcoat with paint, you cannot tell where one begins or the other ends! LOL It also has a convertible top with vinyl doors that come off & fold up for storage! Since it hasn't been registered in a couple years, I couldn't take it out on the street, but I did cruise around his property & it ran great! The price he quoted me was quite high & I doubt that I could or would pay the price, but maybe I better buy some lotto tickets!!! I told him I wanted it, but his price was too high for me & I had to sell Xena first! He said when I was ready, call him & he'll see what he can do! So prayers said, fingers crossed... come on lottery!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
FulsGld

Re: Low-sided Meyers Manx!!!

Post by FulsGld »

Hey Maniac;

Great story. No pictures really sucks. Hang in there. Looking forward to seeing what ever you get.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
ManxManiac

Re: Low-sided Meyers Manx!!!

Post by ManxManiac »

No photos does suck, but I do not blame the guy, seeing the neighborhood he lives in!!! You know the rich are very security minded!
Anyway, I heard from him yesterday evening & he wants to hold off selling it until the 15th of July! I do not know what is so special about that date, but I will find out!
I've had a couple more calls on Xena, so that's a good thing!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22