What are your winter, or off season upgrades?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Since Winter is now half over for 2014-15 for the Northern Hemisphere, what have you been doing to upgrade on your buggy?

I have a list to get done to mine:
1. 4 wheel disc brake upgrade, (my puzzle manx is heavy at 2020 pounds and needs the help stopping from high speed)
2. Replace the input shaft bearing, and or shaft in the trans. It is howling a little in neutral while idling.
3. New Pistons and Cylinders. Current set have been in three engines and are giving some slap and excessive blow-by.
4. For the ECVW '15 trip, install at least one sway bar to help road handling manners.
5. Replace those $*# squeaking red urethane bushings in the rear spring plates with original rubber style.
jsturtlebuggy

Re: What are your winter, or off season upgrades?

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Joe,
I don't know what trans you have in the buggy? If it the later model with large pinion bearing held on with the 80mm nut, the rear mainshaft bearing should be replaced too. When they went to the larger pinion bearing, VW reduced the size of rear mainshaft bearing and they wear out sooner then the older one which has larger rollers in it.
The case can be machined for the early bearing, but you loose the place where the snap ring goes holding bearing in. Drilling and tapping case to use a bolt and washer hold bearing in place is the fix.
Hot VWs is going to have a feature in the near future of a Rancho trans build, On their Facebook site, in one of the picture it show a machine case for the larger bearing.
There also much information on Samba by a person "Gears" that has shown many mods on trans, of what he and others have done. A lot of it is the Vanagon 091/1 and 094 trans.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
joescoolcustoms

Thanks Joe!

I cannot answer which it is. It is a DSC IRS that was an original 4.12 R&P. I had 3rd and 4th changed to a 002 Type 2 course set, (0.82 4th) and welded.

Once I get done with Brian's build, I will come into the garage and get pulled apart and I will check for that bearing.
joescoolcustoms

Playing around with some pictures.

Here are the "new" rims the Puzzle Manx will get for 2015. I have 3 - 5.5 X 15's, (1 for a spare) and 2 - 10.5 X 15's.

Today the FedEx truck stopped by and dropped off these CB Performance Composite Rotor disc brake setup. I got them nos at 1/2 price of new, shipped!

ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Joe, why does your buggy weigh so much??? Xena with about 200 lbs of tools & spare parts in her "parts box" & the roof rack with a spare tire on it, only weighs right at 1550 lbs. & that's with a full tank of gas (9 1/2 gallons). I know Gene Condon's Manx weighs more than yours, but he has a winch & lots of "gadgets" on board!
joescoolcustoms

I built my full tube chassis with all 1 5/8 0.120 wall DOM tubing, double roll cage with hidden side impact crash bar, 5000 pound winch and heavy front bumper, hard top, custom fuel tank made out of 14 gauges steel, heavy wall tires, thick aluminum off road racing rims, heavy side nerf bars, hidden storage compartment, oil cooler, full size battery, rear carry rack, custom rear bumper with built in hitch, full soft top surround, 2.5 gallon extra fuel tank, 50 cal ammo box full of tool, custom larger than usual seats, exterior side panels on the body, larger than normal windshield, custom rear soft top hatch mechanism.

Weighed it with 1/2 tank of fuel on a certified scale and it came out at 2020. I have weighed it again on another scale and came out 2000 pounds.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hey Joe. Guess I'll be swapping out my front beam. And shipping the borrowed beam back to Chris. Atomwerks emailed late yesterday that they're shipping today. (And I'll respect you tomorrow and the check's in the mail) RIGHT. Maybe I'll be switching beams. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

Our upgrades planned are new pushrod tubes, oil filter upgrade, engine cage with trailer hitch, small trailer for long distance, a lockable storage compartment in the back package tray/back seat area, new front bearings and repair the speedo/gas gauge. Been working on the Barons engine lately, but work on Kermit shouldn't be too bad and it's gonna be warmer next week.
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
joescoolcustoms

I hope you do get it this time Jon. That is like 8 months in the wait.

Tim, I have a been thinking a trailer too. I have a light weight frame design, but still working out a simple suspension to use matching VW wheels. Maybe I will have it ready for MOTB '15.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I'm fairly certain most of you are watching my upgrades.
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedBaronofRedBud

Joe, came across this jewel and had to get it. Should fit great behind Kermit!Image
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

joescoolcustoms

Hummmmm! I can see a days-end Keg in that thing that has been ICEolated all day long. Would be great for ECVW road tripping!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

New battery (after 14 years)
New tires (after 10 years)
Some tweaks to the steering
and re-attaching the clutch cable tube in the tunnel.

That's enough for one season....

Winter? What's that? So Cal is perpetual sunshine! No such thing as cold weather here.... Only season we seem to have here lately is fire season...
(Though we could do with a little rain now and again to keep things from shriveling up, turning to dust and blowing away...)
RedBaronofRedBud

Joe, I can totally see that...just none of that earwax beer! ;-)
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

1. Redo wiring after chipmunk eat almost everything made of black plastic - Done
  2. Replace gauges light inverter - Done
  3. Replace ball joint boot - Done
1. If I find that chipmunk, the animals' rights people better not be around - Just saying...
2. The back light inverter failed and the gauges were not lighting up. Called Speedhut and they shipped a replacement unit within the week under warranty! Those guys are awesome!
3. Some may remember that we had a bent spindle that was chewing up bearings last year... In an attempt to adjust the camber (futile effort with bent spindle), I managed to cut the boot on the balljoint. I wanted to get that replaced asap to prevent any damages to the joint.

We're debating making a new soft top but time will tell if we tackle this project. That's really the only thing left. According to Brian Giles' calendar, we're ahead of the scheduled spring tune-up!