Do You Own a Genuine Manx?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Ed-Chenal

Do You Own a Genuine Manx?

Post by Ed-Chenal »

There has been much discussion on Facebook regarding the worth of owning a fiberglass buggy that isn't a Real Meyers Manx.

I was reminded of another famous inventor.

Alexander Graham Bell is credited with inventing the telephone. How many of you own one of his original telephones? Does that fact that few people own one of Bell's original phones diminish his accomplishment? I think not.

Even though I don't own an Original Manx, Bruce knows I love him for the miles of smiles my clone buggy has brought me.
manxvair

Re: Do You Own a Genuine Manx?

Post by manxvair »

I agree with you ED, When I bought my buggies I was not looking for a "name plated" buggy, it just worked out that way. There are so many awesome buggies out there with owners smiling to no end. Bruce kicked the door down and others walked through and now a lot of people find enjoyment.
manx1111pla

Post by manx1111pla »

I also agree with you Ed. When we were looking for one I really didn't know the significance of owning a real Manx but it doesn't really matter to us because we have had sooo much fun in Our clone. We have made so many life long friends because of the buggy, we wouldn't trade it for anything. Thanks Bruce!!
billloftin

Post by billloftin »

A buggy is a buggy that you can enjoy. I have a GlitterBug that I built in 1969-70, which is my favorite buggy. I also have Manxter # 23: a ManxVair: a RougthTerrain(The Blue & White) plus a VW Thing. All of them bring the same amount of enjoyment to me.
Bill

Post by 1856 »

... we're still looking for the Phone?
calvin

Post by calvin »

I don't have a Manx. When I decided I wanted a buggy I wanted a Deserter GT, and specifically went looking for one, and found the one I really wanted. There seem to be some people in the region of the country I am from that want a Scat Kat buggy that was built in NC. I have heard there are a few buggy bodies that were made here in Virginia Beach, but I haven't come across them yet.

I guess my point being that a Manx isn't the only "desirable" buggy, and people have different reasons for wanting what they want.

Calvin
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

I'd love to own an original AGB phone, it would be worth a fortune! That said, all buggies (well not all, there are some ugly ones out there!) are great.
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

I wanted a f/g buggy for many years, before I found "Xena", our authentic verified Meyers Manx. Actually, I looked for about 31 years before I found Xena! I had looked at many many f/g buggies, some were Meyers Manx, some were clones, some didn't look like a Meyers Manx at all!!! :shock: I had decided many many years ago, that I wanted a "real" Meyers Manx!!! Not so much as a collector car, but because "most everyone" said the Meyers Manx body was built better, you know... thicker, stronger, better fit & finish & the bodies would last longer! So when I found Xena, who had been patiently waiting 11 years for me to come along, I was ready to own one of Bruce's finest! I like pretty much all buggy bodies, but owning & driving a real Meyers Manx was what I really wanted! Also... I don't think any buggy is ever really finished!!!
Like I have always said... "You can have just as much FUN FUN FUN in one brand of f/g buggy as you can in another!"
manx2

Post by manx2 »

Yes I do815

Meet my 1967 I have owned for 34 years :mrgreen:
MILO 62

Post by MILO 62 »

manx2 wrote:Yes I do815

Meet my 1967 I have owned for 34 years :mrgreen:
You need to put round headlights on it!
Gene C

Post by Gene C »

yes, I do to
if it wasn't for it being a Manx, I would of never found the club thanks to the local buggy shop