Manx Roof

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Rathbone

Manx Roof

Post by Rathbone »

I have a Manx 2 and I'd like to add the Manx fiberglass roof. I plan to have the buggy painted next month. I want a roll bar that can handle a seat belt shoulder bracket and attach the roof. It doesn't look like the roll bar available on the Manx site is suitable for a seatbelt so I need to have one made that will attach to the floor and the body mounts.

My question is: how high above the body does the roll bar need to be for the roof to look right?
Rathbone

Re: Manx Roof

Post by Rathbone »

MikePresley

Post by MikePresley »

Your rollbar looks perfect for the buggy. Add a couple of rear supports which bolt to something solid and you should be good.
Rathbone

Post by Rathbone »

I think it's too low. It looks better with the foam around it, but if I lay a yardstick across from roll bar and windshield my head touches it. I'm only average height.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The roll bar probably seems low because your seats look higher than most seats. Tom
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Good eye, Tom. Yep, lower those seats till they're just an inch or so off the floor, and back a little farther towards the rear of the car. It'll be more comfortable, too, with the sides of the buggy coming up higher to act as an armrest your driving arm. I agree with the other comments. The roolbar looks correct right where it is. (Nice front tires, too:-)
Rathbone

Post by Rathbone »

but will a fiberglass roof sit correctly at that height? Does anyone have a fiberglass roof?
Rathbone

Post by Rathbone »

I used standard, off-the-shelf seat bases for dune buggies. The VW parts store in orlando had them in stock. The driver's side moves forward and back and the passenger's side tilts forward for access to the rear. The position to the steering wheel while driving is comfortable.
Rathbone

Post by Rathbone »