Pedals

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gary1719

Pedals

Post by Gary1719 »

I have a set of VW pedals . The clutch pedal has a stop bolted to it. That is what it looks like to me. And i have seen brake pedal stops bolted to the floor of beetles for the brake. i have seen them in pictures not removed these from a car personally. so are these used on the buggy when you transfer them over .
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

[quote="gary1719;16147"]I have a set of VW pedals . The clutch pedal has a stop bolted to it. That is what it looks like to me. And i have seen brake pedal stops bolted to the floor of beetles for the brake. i have seen them in pictures not removed these from a car personally. so are these used on the buggy when you transfer them over .[/quote] I have the pedal stop in my buggy and it's bolted to the floor of the 1963 pan.
Ed
Dan B.

Post by Dan B. »

My 62 chassis has the stop also bolted to the floorpan
steveo

Pedals

Post by steveo »

Those stops were used on the first stamped steel pedal in 67 to keep from pushing the T/O bearing too far into the pressure plate but were later dropped. Some after market pedals had them welded on but you don't see them very often. Basicly a way to fine tune your pedal travel if needed. On some cars I've clamped a length heater hose on them cut to the length I needed. For the most part they are not used anymore. Steve Ooley Exeter, CA. #1520 Checkers off road
Gary1719

pedals

Post by Gary1719 »

Yes the one on the clutch is bolted to it. i dont know if there was anything on the floor board to stop the brake. i cant see were it would hit any thing on the brake pedal to make it stop.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

[quote="gary1719;16160"]Yes the one on the clutch is bolted to it. i dont know if there was anything on the floor board to stop the brake. i cant see were it would hit any thing on the brake pedal to make it stop.[/quote] Gary, Just for clarification, the stop I'm referring to is a small plate with one edge turned up so the bottom of the pedal arms rest against it. This stop plate limits the pedal travel toward the driver rather than away from the driver. The plate is bolted to the pan behind the pedals and it allows you to adjust the "at rest" position of the pedals.
Ed
Gary1719

pedal

Post by Gary1719 »

Ed, i have seen pictures of this bolted behind the pedals. i didnt understand how it worked. but i want to know if it is necessary.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

[quote="gary1719;16167"]Ed, i have seen pictures of this bolted behind the pedals. i didnt understand how it worked. but i want to know if it is necessary.[/quote] If you're using a stock set of VW pedals, the plate is necessary unless you fabricate some other piece of hardware to take its place. Added: I'm talking about the plate that bolts to the floorboard/pan, not about stops attached to the pedals themselves.
Ed
Gary1719

pedals

Post by Gary1719 »

ED, i have seen it bolted to the floor behind the pedals. So does it interfere with the pedal when you push on the brakes.
Gary1719

year of pedals

Post by Gary1719 »

ED also my pedals are from a 70 to 72 i think.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

[quote=gary1719;16174]ED, i have seen it bolted to the floor behind the pedals. So does it interfere with the pedal when you push on the brakes.[/quote] The plate does not interfere with the pedal when you push on the brake. It only keeps your pedals in an upright position when your pedals are at rest. If you have access to a car or buggy that has the plate, remove the bolt that holds it in place and you will see what purpose the plate serves.
Ed