Disc Brakes

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gary1719

Disc Brakes

Post by Gary1719 »

What kind of disc brake setups are some of the decent ones on the market you guys would recommend. I want front and rear.I have seen the ones that airkewld has and i am not going to that extreme.I want something a little more reasonable. Also what kind of dual master cylinder would you recommend. I just want your ideas i am ready to order some parts so thought i would ask. Gary1719
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I think you've got a ball joint front so best bet for the front has got to be OEM using Karmann Ghia components; spindles, discs, calipers & pads and hoses, in my opinion... Master cylinder too.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I'd recommend putting type 3 drums with 22.2 mm wheel cylinders on the back, and use a 67-77 Type 1 dual circuit master cylinder.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

X2 on the Type 3 rear drum set-up. Great but economical brake set-up. If you use a new replacement master cylinder a Volvo reservoir will pop right onto the top of it too to neaten thing up...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
ManxRob

Post by ManxRob »

I used re-drilled Karman Gia disc brakes on the front and late (slightly wider brake shoes) model bug backing plates & drums in back, along with Gia master cylinder in my original build. I wound up with front/rear brake balance problems that bordered on dangerous. The fronts would ?lock-up? before the rears could start working. The inexpensive solution for that problem was to use larger diameter front wheel cylinders in the back. This is the article that told me about it: http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/brakehowto.htm While it worked great, I needed more stopping power when I souped up the engine. I thought seriously about putting on the Type3 drums, but the additional 1 inch of offset on each side (plus more to run adapters for my Chevy wheels) would have exposed too much tire from under the fender for our wet roads. So I installed the GM pattern rear disc brakes with E-Brake from SOCAL listed here: http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1209_1239&products_id=13542&osCsid=16e2af56ea19429f3ef8b50a0bc1494c and one of their ?new? 4 wheel disc brake master cylinders: http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=13450&osCsid=94e458366456d5ddbae0967dfc6d9008 I think both the Brake kit and Master Cylinder are sourced through AC Industries. It seems like a good solution for my Manx, The brakes work great, and my GM wheels still fit, and the tires are still under the fenders. I did run into caliper interference problems on the passenger side with my (Corvair) headers.   I plan to use my Type3 drums on my Tow?d.