Someone's pride and joy...

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
manxdavid

Someone's pride and joy...

Post by manxdavid »

It may not be everyone's bag but you've got to give respect to the guy who originally built this car...it's certainly unique. I kinda like it, it's certainly not another Manx-a-like!!! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beach-Buggy-Tax-E ... 35a4e805d6
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I like the guy's comment in his description that he's selling it because he "needs a sensible car". What makes him think that?
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;15228"]It may not be everyone's bag but you've got to give respect to the guy who originally built this car...it's certainly unique. I kinda like it, it's certainly not another Manx-a-like!!! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beach-Buggy-Tax-E ... 35a4e805d6[/QUOTE] Bloody Hell Dave!!! what kind of drink are you on now days?? ,,, I must get some!! LOL!. Funny thing is, I saw that on ebay the other day, and it got me thinking,, if I was walking in the Sahara Desert, hundreds of miles from civilization,,, hungry,, thirsty and tired,,, and someone pulled along side me in that thing to offer me a lift, I'd take my chances on foot or look for a camel. LOL!
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I've gotta wonder a little about Darren who's interested in buying it and posted questions. He doesn't ask anything about the leaf shaped seats or even the banana steering wheel, he just wants to know about the floorpans and whether it has seat belts. I think Darren is planning a groovy trip someplace.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="CairoManx;15236"] I think Darren is planning a groovy trip someplace.[/QUOTE] ...or maybe he's taken one 'groovy trip' too many already... I can imagine this buggy tailgating at a Jimmy Buffet concert maybe with a Tiki bar in tow serving frozen banana daiquiris Or maybe I just got 'over served' at Tesco again... Image Whatever, I must start taking more water with it as I've been seriosly thinking about this one during the week... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT It looks to be an early and not too mollested example of the Invader, or maybe it's even the original Scorpion LT that The Sunday Telegraph imported and rally driver John Sprinzell built for the 1970(?) London Motor Show, the one they took the mould for the Invader off. This one... Image The color's about the same!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
ManxRob

Post by ManxRob »

The Ebay Invader looks like a nice start. I hadn't seen side skirts before. Image Is the windshield from an MG? Image
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="manxrob;15238"]The Ebay Invader looks like a nice start. I hadn't seen side skirts before. Image Is the windshield from an MG? Image[/QUOTE] The pods look like they were adapted from a British Manta Ray buggy. Full marks for the screen, it is an MGB Roadster one. Scorpions used a Datsun Fairlady but the British Invaders used a custom made one...both rarer than hen's teeth...
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid;15237"] Image [/QUOTE] Dave, did ya notice the price?, that must have been close to D-Day (Decimal Day) when we switched over coins,, as it has the old & new prices printed. One pound and three shillings,, or twenty three bob as we called it,,, Ha the good old daze of the old money when it was worth something!. And yet kids today think a ''two bob bit'' is just more cockney rhyming slang!.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[quote=Manxdavid;15237 Whatever, I must start taking more water with it as I've been seriosly thinking about this one during the week... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT It looks to be an early and not too mollested example of the Invader, or maybe it's even the original Scorpion LT that The Sunday Telegraph imported and rally driver John Sprinzell built for the 1970(?) London Motor Show, the one they took the mould for the Invader off.[/quote] That would be a fantastic buggy, but it would have to be Corvair powered. It would also need some Ansen Sprints and old style wrap around British Sports car seats. Image
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

It'd get the Appliance Dishmags that are on my Manx now because I'm in the middle of fitting 4 bolt hubs and EMPI Sprintstars to it... It may be a problem finding Rambler American taillights and Honda Dream headlights though. I recon the MG screen looks better than the original Datsun one, it's got a nicer shape IMO... Image
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard;15241"]Dave, did ya notice the price?, that must have been close to D-Day (Decimal Day) when we switched over coins,, as it has the old & new prices printed. One pound and three shillings,, or twenty three bob as we called it,,, Ha the good old daze of the old money when it was worth something!. And yet kids today think a ''two bob bit'' is just more cockney rhyming slang!.[/QUOTE] I only got payed ?10 a week in my first job, used to buy an LP, some tools, give my mum a couple of pounds and still have a couple of nights out. Lager was 18p a pint so I could have six pints, a bag of chips and a taxi home for a quid...and do the kids of today belive you???
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[quote="Manxdavid;15245"] It may be a problem finding Rambler American taillights and Honda Dream headlights though.[/quote] No problem http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-RAMB ... ccessories http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/63-66-Ho ... ccessories
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="CairoManx;15249"]No problem http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-RAMB ... ccessories http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/63-66-Ho ... ccessories[/QUOTE] Mmmm.....maybe, just maybe....
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I was down at Bruce's a couple weeks ago looking at the KickOut SS. There's really something about a curved windshield on a buggy.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I've decided not to go for the Invader, I can't seem to find the time/energy to carry out the changes I want to do to the Manx this winter let alone start another build... It's getting 4 bolt hubs, 8x15 and 5 1/2x15 EMPI Sprintstars with 255/70x15 and 195/60x15 tires, a Signiture Manx column support and maybe a crackle black finish to the dashboard and a general de-clutter. I'm still looking for some 'flower power' vinyl to cover the hardtop with if anyone knows of a source.