Glamis / Questions

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Beezer

Glamis / Questions

Post by Beezer »

Hey there! Has anyone been to Glamis and been able to find trails that are useable with a street-legal, no sand paddle tires, buggy? Our friends have invited us out during the holidays and it's far enough, that we'd hate to get there and find we can't use our buggy! Since they've never been there either (tho they have ATV's), they don't know what to expect either. Beezer is just an old street buggy - some of you might know us from Big Bear (AND we'll be at Tahoe) - nothing special in the way of equipment. Thoughts? Comments? Thanks & hope to see you all in the dirt! Connie & Lynn Breedlove Santa Paula, CA PS - We're going to be at Santa Paula Cruise Night tomorrow night (8/7) with Aztek Fire & Beezer. If anyone else is in the Ventura County area, come on down. Beautiful muscle cars, lots of fun people, decent food and good music - all for FREE! At least 4-5 buggies will be there tomorrow night. We'd like to make it more, if possible. Our own little "show & shine"!
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

You will be suprised how well your buggy will do in the sand. Just air down your tires real low. There is all kinds of terrain out there from little dunes up to the big ones. Make sure you have a good buggy whip and keep an eye out for other duners. Also, watch out for the "Witches Eye's" on the backside of some razorbacks. Image Image Image Don't be afaid to get a little sand between your teeth.
Stewart

Been there done that !

Post by Stewart »

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]looks like they never learned the trick OLD MANX taught me, Shut the motor off, put the buggy in reverse, take your foot off the clutch, crank the starter and it will back out, IT WORKS ![/FONT]
Beezer

Post by Beezer »

Thanks for the info and the great pictures. I see both of these buggies have sand tires, which we don't have. I think we'll try our first attempt in the sand at Pismo - it's a whole lot closer than Glamis, and has Moe's BBQ besides. :-) Not to mention the whole Thanksgiving weekend "thing" since I just read a recent magazine article about Imperial County, home to Glamis, made by the Executive Director of the county: "We have a relatively small population - 176,158 people. It is estimated that during some long weekends, like Thanksgiving, the population of our county DOUBLES in size due to the huge throngs of off-road enthusiasts"! Thanks to everyone for responding! Connie & Lynn Members 1634 Old clone "Beezer" 2009 Best of Show Manx "Aztek Fire" (NOT the one we'll take to the sand!)
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Jon, You?ve got that gorgeous Dual Sport all sandy !!!! Remember it?s not a Tri Sport??. But then you knew that. Bob [/FONT][/FONT]
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

There are a lot of place to go prior to getting into thee big dunes that are very fun.
Dan B.

Yo Don Wiggins!

Post by Dan B. »

Hey there Wiggins aka Don, your name sounds familiar.... i know... from the Chirco forum pages! I have been following your forum for some time, acquiring some great information on vw engine & chassis. Welcome to the Manx Club! Dan B. aka Buggynutz / Ncbuggy @ Chirco.com I am restoring a 1962 vw short pan fg buggy with a 1776 sa trans
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

[quote="Dan B.;14396"]Hey there Wiggins aka Don, your name sounds familiar.... i know... from the Chirco forum pages! I have been following your forum for some time, acquiring some great information on vw engine & chassis. Welcome to the Manx Club! Dan B. aka Buggynutz / Ncbuggy @ Chirco.com I am restoring a 1962 vw short pan fg buggy with a 1776 sa trans[/quote] Not to totally threadjack this glamis post. I have been a lurker here for a long time. I have always had my eye out for a fiberglass buggy. So I sent in a payment and joined the forums. Thanks for the kind greetings. Don
tim morgan

Post by tim morgan »

[QUOTE="Wiggins;14411"]Not to totally threadjack this glamis post. I have been a lurker here for a long time. I have always had my eye out for a fiberglass buggy. So I sent in a payment and joined the forums. Thanks for the kind greetings. Don[/QUOTE] Welcome Don,,Another AZ Boy,,Cool,,,I have been meaning to get down to Chirco for about a year now to check it out,,Some day,,,,Tim
Lee

Post by Lee »

The big boys get stuck too! Image Bill's trick with the starter in reverse got this rail unstuck in seconds. Thanks, Bill!!!
stubenj

Post by stubenj »

Check out by the railroad tracks. You can drive on the sand hwy. and the sand drags. 8 lbs in the tires. you can take the sand hwy to Gorden wells. just no deep sand.