Handling sensitive information

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
gregr

Handling sensitive information

Post by gregr »

Just thought I'd bring this up. Maybe you've noticed in response to Gene C's question about the club financials, etc, there are 2 responses. I think that when dealing with subjects such as finances, etc and the general membership, we should consider a "Public Information Officer." That is, 1 person who is the face of the BOD to the membership on potentially sensitive subjects. I think the entire board should weigh in on responses to questions such as revealing finances, etc. before this person(s) speak. I'm not knocking Bob and Mark for trying to answer Gene's question, but rather we need to make sure we have a unified response everyone can understand and live with. Perhaps finance questions could be answered by the finance chair, membership by the membership chair. We just all need to be sure we're on the same page. By the way, what is the correct answer to Gene's question? Are the club financials available to members in a public forum or are they available on a case by case basis to the individual asking? Thanks
GregR
Gene-C

Sensitive Information

Post by Gene-C »

[FONT=Verdana]Greg, [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]Was this topic not discussed at the Lone Pine 2008 meeting? If I remember we decided not to publish the numbers. I still feel that the numbers should not be published. Most members can do the numbers 500 dues paying members @ $30,00 each =15K. 65 buggies at a run at $40.00 per buggy = 2600.00. What they do not see is the cost of liability insurance, event site rental, the cost of the free donuts & coffee, cost of awards. These are some of the things all members need to be aware of.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]As a group, the BOD has not done a thing to gather the interested members together. You know like an annual meeting, or any other meeting for that matter. [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]I think that most members would be content to know that they do not need to worry about a club related liability, or worry about any club funds or property being misappropriated. I feel the average member just wants to be satisfied that the direction of the club is in good hands.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]To accomplish the above, the BOD needs to communicate with the members. This is something we need to work on.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]JoeS[/FONT]
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

I agree with you both, however when there is no response to a club related question on the forum, and the question was directed toward me, I felt I should try to answer it with out giving to much info. I was going to say, If you want to know the details of your club, become a board member. There are 3 positions coming up for election. But that statement would of shown everybody else that we are not pubicly giving out that info. I really think the president needs to address questions like that. The president is the official spokesman for the club in my opinion