kickout Hood

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gary1719

kickout Hood

Post by Gary1719 »

Does any body know yet if you can take the new kickout hood and use it on a old manx (60's &70's models) so you can have a opening hood? That would be make it easier to wire every thing up.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="gary1719;13669"]Does any body know yet if you can take the new kickout hood and use it on a old manx (60's &70's models) so you can have a opening hood? That would be make it easier to wire every thing up.[/QUOTE] Even if it would fit I doubt if Winnie would sell one seperately; she wouldn't sell me a Manxter badge for the hood of my Manx II as it would have been 'period incorrect'. They (The Manxclub) used to sell and opening hood/ scuttle for earlier Manxes and copies in the late 90s and early 00s (?) but I think they may have discontinued them at about the time the Siggy Manx came out. It may be worth a phone call as they may still have the moulds. They were top quality, the hood was double skinned around the hinge and (re-located) headlight mountings. Image Image Image Image The headlight mounts would need removed from the original fenders to look correct IMO...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Dave, I still have that lifting hood which I think was the last one sold (about 10 years back) could be wrong, but I'm sure Winnie said that they had stopped doing them back then,, but managed to get one for me at the time. They used to be advetised in the back of Manx Mania in the 90's,,, some of the ol timers may remember them... Now who was it who told me,, or where was it I read that the Kickout hood does fit the older style Manx???? either way I'm sure you could easy get the thing to fit....... Thats the shift knob and the lifting hood I have,,,, I'm getting there guys!!!
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard;13734"]Dave, I still have that lifting hood which I think was the last one sold (about 10 years back) could be wrong, but I'm sure Winnie said that they had stopped doing them back then,, but managed to get one for me at the time. They used to be advetised in the back of Manx Mania in the 90's,,, some of the ol timers may remember them... Now who was it who told me,, or where was it I read that the Kickout hood does fit the older style Manx???? either way I'm sure you could easy get the thing to fit....... Thats the shift knob and the lifting hood I have,,,, I'm getting there guys!!![/QUOTE] I picked up a nice little piece off Australian ebay recently; the little shield shaped steering column/ bulkhead plate from a Siggy Manx kit. So that's the column support and plate and the number plate mounting I've got saved up for my next one...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Gary1719

Kick out hood

Post by Gary1719 »

I asked winnie about an opening hood she said no they wouldnt sell to other manx owners. They would like to keep it period correct. I understand but I dont have to like it.

Post by 1856 »

[QUOTE="gary1719;13778"] I understand but I dont have to like it.[/QUOTE] Oh well ... Keeping the Heritage, I can respect that. Mark
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="gary1719;13778"]I asked winnie about an opening hood she said no they wouldnt sell to other manx owners. They would like to keep it period correct. I understand but I dont have to like it.[/QUOTE] Did you ask her about the ordinary opening hood that they used to sell to anyone or just about the Kick Out hood?
Gary1719

kickout

Post by Gary1719 »

I really asked about designing a hood that opened for our older manx's. and she said they were going to keep the buggies period correct by not mixing and matching. no problem, now the question is do i want an opening hood, cost 4500.00 a new kickout.
towdster2

Post by towdster2 »

I KNOW I want a Kick-Out. The first thing I have to do is sell the Tow'd to get some of the money for the Kick-Out kit. We have the money...but...this is a "requirement" by my significant other...to keep from digging into savings. The Tow'd has the "street" hood with windshield, all fenders and engine cover, but no engine or battery...does anyone have an idea of what a Tow'd...needs TLC....is worth? It also has super heavy duty..super strong, bolt on IRS, and 1975 Bus axles, CV joints, brakes and transmisson. Rick Manx Club member 243
Gary1719

Hood

Post by Gary1719 »

Manx david the original opening hood is not made any more. I asked about that probably two years ago. one of the reasons i liked the kickout hood is i see no hinges. I still dont know how it opens or is kept shut. I have a manx body laying around i have never done anything with. it also needs painting Which for me i can shave off the old light holders if i want to make a opening hood work for me. If i had a nice buggy with good color i would not be interested in messing it up. So that is kind of why i was interested in an opening hood. I really like that tray put under the hood in the kick out. Gary 1719#
Gene-C

MANX Opening Hoods

Post by Gene-C »

[FONT=Verdana]Gary, [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]There is nothing fancy about how the Kickout hoods mount or open up. It is based on the same type hinge that the Manxter uses.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]I believe the problem in fitting a Manxter style hood to a MANX, MANX2, or MANX clone is the design of the hood and how it wraps under the front of the MANX tub. [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]If you compare the MANX tub with a Manxter tub the difference is very apparent.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]The only real question is How much time and how much money is on willing to spend on such a project.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]Also, I do not see Meyers MANX, Inc. performing this type of cross pollination on their product line. I believe that they have already stated that they are not interested in retrofitting the Manxter or Kickout parts to fit a MANX, MANX2 or Manx clones. [/FONT]
markmark

Post by markmark »

If I had the choice between a 30 - 40 year old Manx or a brand new Kickout I know what I would choose!
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="markmark;14126"]If I had the choice between a 30 - 40 year old Manx or a brand new Kickout I know what I would choose![/QUOTE] Given the choice I'd go for a 45 year old one...lol... Image
markmark

Post by markmark »

Most of the buggies over here have spent their 30 - 40 years being punished off road and they really show their age no matter how well they have been painted. That's why I like the idea of getting a brand new body. I love the original too but it seems to be an impossible dream to find a decent original Manx body over here.