Truth or Rumor

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
rzeller

Truth or Rumor?

Post by rzeller »

I caught the following statement from a post on the SAMBA, "It was announced that the Manx website would be going through some changes, forums for everyone, you don't have to a member to be on it." Anyone care to fill in the gaps for those of us that weren't at Big Bear? Thanks, Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Yes, that's true.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]You may have to register to get a user name (to avoid spam) but the forum will be open to everyone. There will however be a member?s only forum, which at this point will be the Buggy of the Month. Full details yet to be worked out.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Other info:[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Three positions on the Board of Directors are up for election. There are no defined duties for these positions the board works collectively to determine the direction of the club base on input from the membership. If you or anyone is interested in one of these positions submit a short Bio of yourself and why you want to be on the BOD to one of the board members listed in this forum.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bob K[/FONT] [/FONT]
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Tom, That's great news about the forum. It will go a long way in drawing contributors back to this site. Thanks, Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Yes, that's true.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]You may have to register to get a user name (to avoid spam) but the forum will be open to everyone. There will however be a member?s only forum, which at this point will be the Buggy of the Month. Full details yet to be worked out.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Other info:[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Three positions on the Board of Directors are up for election. There are no defined duties for these positions the board works collectively to determine the direction of the club base on input from the membership. If you or anyone is interested in one of these positions submit a short Bio of yourself and why you want to be on the BOD to one of the board members listed in this forum.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bob K[/FONT] [/FONT]
I think the key words at this moment are "Full details are yet to be worked out." The administrator has been working on the opening up of the forum for some time. We are still getting a large amount of spam type users, that need to be dealt with. To day alone there have over 50 new users register on the Manx Club site. Each new registration requires a close look. This change will not happen overnight. Please allow the administrator the time to work through the process, and remember he has a job and donates his time & experience to the Manx Club.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Question With all the new stuff going on and the "Club" no longer being private? Is the Manx club a registered non- profit? Will the "revamped" Manx group be publishing a balance sheet ? membership numbers ? or is it going to remain a large secret? Gene C #729
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I guess it will remain a big secret it looks like Gene C #729
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

It would be nice to know where all the event and membership dues monies are being spent, etc.? Does the Club have a cash flow?

Post by 1856 »

Great question Yes the Club is a registered nonprofit corporation 501c7 The event $$$ are all spent to support the events 100%. The membership dues pay for costs of the Club publication "Manx Mania" and membership renewal and event notices and such. The improvements to the "Mania's" last publication are award worthy but were expensive and ate up most of the $$$. I feel that it was well spent... That publication in full color on glossy paper is an example of the quality that the Board strives to sustain. However we likely can not continue but hope to maintain the cover in color glossy, we'll see ... More great things are coming for the club with regional events around the globe ... Stay tuned ... remember that award winning publication the "Manx Mania" is only available to members, as are the events. Mark Bryant
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I hope it remains a secret! Try giving people more than 4hrs. to answer your question. It's the middle of summer, I'm sure they don't live to answer your questions on the internet.
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

Jim, you were at Big Bear. Did you not notice the award plaques, paid photogragher, the new easyup, the new coffee pot? Believe me, I make sure your buggy fee money is well spent on you. The events pay for them selves. No money come from the membership dues to do an event.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

So Mark The question is simple , will paying members to this non profit club be able to get membership stats and yearly financial reports? Will board meetings be open to membership who wish to attend and observe? How does the voting process work for the board? Who gets to vote? I have never got a Ballot so I am just wondering? Gene C #729
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Gene, I am not speaking for Mark. I do not have the financial numbers, but there are membership numbers available to all who want them. No secrets here. As of 7/23/2009: Total Registered Manx Club members -- 3469 Active Manx Club members with paidup dues -- 570 Inactive Manx Club members not paying dues - 2899 The numbers move around a bit as the members move from active to inactive status at the end of each month. If you need the numbers in the future all you need do is ask. Remember there are no secrets, and as far as I know nothing is hidden. I thought most board meetings are open to the general membership. There is a large amount of information concerning the election process in the Club By-Laws. The By-Laws are very specific on when the elections for Directors are to be held and how the election is held. They are posted on this site in the "Forum & Membership" Section. There is also a post on the election process posted in the same Section. Question for you. What ballot are you concerned about? I am very happy to see that some of the members are paying attention & asking questions.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks Joe That was the simple answer I am looking for Its nice to look at the year end to see for me anyhow which events are a bust and which work.Since we are all here to suport the club I for one would like to see these things and maybe help with some input where needed I would like to see with my renewal package a year end number summary on how the club is doing Also, I see they have 3 openings on the board and I for one would like to follow the process Gene C
dennis-and-cathy

notices

Post by dennis-and-cathy »

so are the notices going out when members need to pay thier dues, or how is this handled now?
Gene-C

Membership Renewal Notices.

Post by Gene-C »

The question asked was:
so are the notices going out when members need to pay thier dues, or how is this handled now?
[FONT=Verdana]Every 2 months I send out a notice to members who have expiring memberships. For example, if you joined the Club in September your notice would go out the last week in August or the first week in September. This mailing would include the notices for September & October. It also allows us to avoid the December holiday crunch in the mail system. Another advantage is that I am sure of having enough items to meet the minimum number required.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]I use a different color paper for each mailing so I can tell when it was sent out. In the past the notices printed, hand stuffed into envelopes, first class postage applied and mailed first class. I have a vendor that prints, folds, seals, addresses, prints a return address, affix bulk rate postage, and get them to the post office. There are significant time and $$ savings in treating the notice mailing this way. Like a 60% savings for the Club.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]The biggest problems are addresses that are not up to date, and people only send me a 5 digit zip cone. Bulk mail will only accept a 9 digit zip code. Every other month I need to get a hold of convert numerous zip codes to 9 digits.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]I have tried several different processes during the past 15 months and I think we have found what works best. There are still a few glitches to work out. I need a better handle on the international postage. We are working on that one. I will take a stupid pill from time to time and screw up a batch, the post office or the printer will miss a few now & then.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]I always encourage any member to drop me a line at manxmember@yahoo.com, if they have a question or concern. If I am screwing something up, the quickest way to correct it is to let me know.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]I hope this answers your question.[/FONT] Also, There will be 3 Director positions up for election this year. If any one is thinking about running for a position you need to contact a member of the Nomination Committee, or send your name & phone number to manxmember@yahoo.com. The message will be forwarded to the members of the committee.