New Thomas Crown Manx

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Tom Kathleen"]In Connecticut, if you register a dune buggy as a Bug, you do it at your own risk. You can lose the registration and insurance coverage. We have a classification called "composite vehicle" for highly modified vehicles, or vehicles that don't look like their former selves. To legally register one of these, you have to go to the main DMV office, only on Thursdays, only with an appointment and no temp plate to get it there, it must be trailered. After you get it there, they look at it top to bottom and apply all the rules from a 5 page separate rule book. It is an ordeal, but it can be done if you follow the rules. After you get it registered, you can back off on some things, but be prepaired to put it back to legal if you get caught. Tom[/QUOTE] Tom has it always been like that? ie tough in Connecticut. Tell me > for a guy building a 'Way Out composite' kinda vehicle what would be the best place (in USA) to do it ? Seems to me all these worldwide rules & regs now days have turned us old-timers into 'Grumpy Ol Men' what ya say Dave? :help: :crazy:
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="manx4dan"]I don't really know what the Hillman Hunter looks like,[/QUOTE] Dan, trust me on this one > YOU DON'T WANT TO :D I drove one in & around the London area for 2 years mini cabbing back in the 70's,,,,, they aint a pretty sight :eek:
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

ps, Dan, Thanks for posting the other Hunter pics :rock: Dave will help you out for sure,, just give him a little time,, he's moving home right now and grumpy old men can become ''VERY GRUMPY" when they get stressed :D he even refused a beer with his ol buddy yesterday :drinking:
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Mel - Yes, it has always been hard to build a fun car in this state. We did get one break lately. Up untill last summer, I had to take my buggy every other year to get an emmisions test done. Kathleen's never got checked. They stopped checking vehicles after they were 25 years old, but even though I could prove the car was built with parts older than that, they still wanted to check emmisions because the car was just registered. They wanted it to pass 1968 vehicle specs. My hot rodded 2007cc (and later 2275cc) would get replaced by my somewhat stock 1600, and even that would barely pass. This was another roadblock they made to try to spoil our fun, but you can always find a way around if you look hard enough. Now, lets get back on track with this thread. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="manx4dan"] I hope David will email a nice copy of that brochure - I've been looking for 4 years for one. It sure cleared up a few things; I thought the company was Conn-Ferr and I thought McQueens buggy was the Queen Max until I saw the brochure today![/QUOTE] Sorry I don't have the brochure, I just found the pic I posted on the internet somewhere...I've had it in my PC for ages... I've got a pic of a Hillman Hunter too!!! :D Image
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Dan, I guess you may of heard of James Hale here in UK?,,, he has a TC replica,,, I last saw it in 97 when it was just a bare body tub & hood sitting on a chassis, my guess is its still sitting in the same place unstarted,,,, as far as Im aware he has everything needed to build an exact TC replica. Maybe not a windshield though. Now this could be a long-shot, but here's plan B > I've not been in contact with JH for many years, but I would say 99.9% sure that he would have an original brochure, if so maybe he would scan it for you. Sorry I don't have any contact details for him, but he does a bit of writing from time to time in the UK mag ''Ultra VW'' ,,,, the editors of this mag are Paul Knight & Keith Seume,, both good ol VW guys which Im sure would pass on JH's contact details to you.. > Paul Knight.. ultravw@chpltd.com Hope that helps,,, 4 years is a long time hunting a brochure :eek:
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

You could maybe get an email to him thru eBay, I think his user name's 'fastwrite'. Just a thought...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

I just thought he's listed on the Meyers Manx registry with his buggy as > M- No Tag. The copy I have is jan 2000,, not sure if he's still at the same address,, but I could PM it to you if you don't have any joy finding his email address. Don't even think about asking him if he would sell it,,,, I've tried n tried in the past, there just aint no way he will EVER part with it :cry: :cry:
manx4dan

Post by manx4dan »

Thanks guys, I have been in touch with James, and he had stated that he did not have a copy of the brochure, or he would have published it in one of his books. That is why I was so surprised to see it in Davids posting! Tim Barton had stated that he didn't have the brochure either (I really have been searching!!) but that he too, was still interested in producing replicas of the Queen Manx once again. Well atleast I've got the jpg that David posted for now! That Hillman Hunter reminds me of the old Ford Falcon even though Hillman was somehow related to Chrysler. Mel, I've always appreciated how you fill in the slow times with a good long joke or two.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="manx4dan"]Thanks guys, Well atleast I've got the jpg that David posted for now! [/QUOTE] I'm glad the scan of the Con-Ferr ad was helpful to you. I posted it in my gallery on the Meyers Manx Forum last November. Richard Brown gave it to me a few years ago. Among the other original Meyers Manx dealers Richard has looked up and visited, he went to see Pete Condos. Nelson
manx4dan

Post by manx4dan »

CairoManx, I thank you for posting the scan which i somehow missed. Do you have a scan of higher resolution by chance?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Dan, That's just what I got from Richard, the copy was a bit washed out. Give him a call. He's listed on the registry in Louisiana. He's a very nice guy.
manx4dan

Post by manx4dan »

CairoManx
Dan, That's just what I got from Richard, the copy was a bit washed out. Give him a call. He's listed on the registry in Louisiana. He's a very nice guy.
Forgive me, but when I look in Member List, there is no Richard Brown. What registry are you referring to?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

The 'MANX REGISTRY', it is a list of all known manx kits/bodies that is kept by Winnie. The REGISTRY includes MANX, MANX II, TOW'D, SR, MANXTERS, & other MANX vehicles. The 'Member List' is just a list of names that have registered on this web site. It has no relation to MANX type vehicles.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="manx4dan"]CairoManx Forgive me, but when I look in Member List, there is no Richard Brown. What registry are you referring to?[/QUOTE] Dan, I'll PM Richard's email to you. Nelson