Classic Manx Blinkers

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Classic-Manx-71

Classic Manx Blinkers

Post by Classic-Manx-71 »

[FONT=Tahoma]I think, besides the Type1 turn signals, (top of fender mount), the others (bullet-type) used on the old/classic (1960s) manxes were Ghia or Type3. Does anyone know the exact year/years for the Ghia and for the Type3?[/FONT] :confused:
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Not sure on the year of the VW blinkers but another popular one used in the 60s was the Lucas L488 type (470/471/472) http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/hodge?opendocument&part=6 Image
markmark

Post by markmark »

[QUOTE="Classic Manx 71"][font=Tahoma]I think, besides the Type1 turn signals, (top of fender mount), the others (bullet-type) used on the old/classic (1960s) manxes were Ghia or Type3. Does anyone know the exact year/years for the Ghia and for the Type3? :confused:[/QUOTE] It would be the early 60's models that you would be after.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

KG indicators you need are pre '60 ones. Early Type 3 ones are too big 'as is' but have been trimmed to suit in the past.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Lee

Post by Lee »

"Does anyone know the exact year/years for the Ghia..." I have early (from the late fifties) Ghia turn signals on the front of my Manx: Image I couldn't find the seals for them, so I got the seals for later turn signals and trimmed and glued them to fit. They work fine. You can use Ghia turn signals as long as they are pre-'64. The '64 and later ones are too big for the front of the fender on a Manx. Be prepared to spend some serious $$$ for early Ghia signals. I would also look into the Lucas signals that CairoManx listed.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

The early Ghia blinker is the real traditional one. I think I read Bruce said it was the one he intended be used. The Lucas L488 is a good period option. They were easy to find on wrecked British sports cars in the 60s and are still easily available today. They were used on Shelby Cobras and I've seen replica Cobra shops selling them. The lense is thick glass and available in amber, clear or red. I use the two filament bulb type. The rubber boot is excellent and lasts forever. If they have a drawback its that because they sit flush, you have to cut a hole in the lip of the fender to install them. Image