Frozen brake durm

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Frozen brake durm

Post by Gene-C »

Guys, I have a link pin beam I intend to use on my new project. Problem is, one of the brake drums is frozen. The beam is not on a car so I cant drag it free (my usual method). I have removed the bearing nut and have been tapping ( beating the s#&t out of it) for 2 days. I have also tried soaking it in WD-40. This sucker just wont move. I cant turn it at all and it wont come off. Any suggestions? I dont care if the drum is ruined as long as I get it off the beam. Thanks, Scott
Lee

Post by Lee »

Brake drum puller? http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... m%20puller Your local auto parts store might have one you could rent / borrow.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Use heat to expand the drum. Watch the wd 40 it's flammable, I have broke drum pullers on bad ones, so be careful not to break one you rent,
MickeyUSA

Post by MickeyUSA »

How bad do you want the spindle?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Tim, THis is for a low budget ( all used parts) "beat it up" buggy. I dont want to spend amymore that I have to.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Darren, I didnt want to use heat for that reason but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.. Thanks Scott
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Drill out the brake shoe hold down pins from the back of the backing plate. The reason it won't come off is because the shoes are stuck to the drum, by drilling the hold downs it will allow the shoes to come off with the drum.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

You didn't say whether you had backed of the brake adjusters all the way?
jr_vw2

Post by jr_vw2 »

When in doubt..... get a bigger hammer

Post by 1856 »

Did U try backing off the Breaks? :x And heating the drum in the area of the bearings? :x :2cents:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks Jerry. That sounds like a viable idea. I'll try it tomorrow. Cant adjust the brakes in because in VW's the adjustmet hole is in the drum and I cant turn it.:x I can see this is going to be challenging. All the parts I am using except for the pan, engine and tranny have been sitting somewhere in the weather for atleast 20 years... Combination of atleast 6 cars...:crazy:
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

Even if you drill the retainers, wouldn`t the adjuster, and the wheel cylinder still hold the shoes from coming out?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="Reverb"]Even if you drill the retainers, wouldn`t the adjuster, and the wheel cylinder still hold the shoes from coming out?[/QUOTE] I dont think so. But the springs would still give some resistance. If I get that far I will get the drum off.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="WuZaBuG"] Cant adjust the brakes in because in VW's the adjustmet hole is in the drum and I cant turn it.:x [/QUOTE] Whoops, I messed that up. I was thinking late model.
jr_vw2

Post by jr_vw2 »

Even if you drill the retainers, wouldn`t the adjuster, and the wheel cylinder still hold the shoes from coming out? In theory the shoes should kind of "fold" into each other as the drum is pulled off. Another reason it might be froze is the wheel bearings could be frozen solid and the drum could be locked to the spindle. just a thought