To paint it Black or not?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

To paint it Black or not?

Post by Gene-C »

Thinking of painting my dune runner (with shelbiette hood) black, but warm summer days will make it one hot body. How many people paint theirs black and do you regret it? Also anybody with info of dune runner bodys, I am looking for photocopies or originals of all ads etc. thanks
joemama

Post by joemama »

Dont forget that black shows flaws more readily,as well as surface scratches, etc. Lighter colors show less. Had a olds Cutlas that was black,took to a comercial car wash with brushes, man did I regret that.
fubar

Post by fubar »

try Cat yellow????
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

[QUOTE="joemama"]Dont forget that black shows flaws more readily,as well as surface scratches, etc. Lighter colors show less. Had a olds Cutlas that was black,took to a comercial car wash with brushes, man did I regret that.[/QUOTE] You might make the Guiness Book of Records if you drive a buggy through one of those things :D
joemama

Post by joemama »

I will try to get my kids to do that.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I think black is a mistake. It shows EVERYTHING. I had a black blazer. I washed it like every day trying to keep it clean. Even then the slightest ding would shine from 10' away. I finally gave up and just let the car "be dirty". No more black cars for me...
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

ditto the no way black... i have 2 black cars!! looks great if you work on them all the time.. but.. never again for me. i live with 800 thousand uninsured border bandits who don't care about my car. it has ding all over it and it shows up big time.. only cost about 500 a year to remove them.. my last buy was white!!!
90volts

Post by 90volts »

what about black with heavy flake? wouldn't that hide the flaws some?
Dune-Buggy-Archives

Post by Dune-Buggy-Archives »

[QUOTE="onelowzuki"]Thinking of painting my dune runner (with shelbiette hood) ........... I am looking for photocopies or originals of all ads etc. thanks[/QUOTE] ALRIGHT! I love it when people know what they have! That rocks. If you inetrested in price sheets or a full color brochure on the Dune Runner, send me a PM. john
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Stay away from black...Plastic body = static electricity. Static electricity attracts dust. Dust will be everpresent on your buggy and black will help you see it.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks, those are the thoughts i was having, I just wanted to verify them though. Now I got to figure out what would look good with everything I powdercoated black (including headlight buckets)
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Have you noticed that the black paint of VIP limos, especially cars like the Queen's Rolls Royces or Daimlers gleam and show no scratches or marks? The secret is beer. If you polish a black car with beer you will fill all of the scratches with the beery sugar which has the same refractive index as the paint, so all of the scratches disappear. Polished sugar has a gleam all of its own which no other material can improve on. The only problem is that the car must be constantly polished, which is why so many limo drivers are always wiping down the cars as they wait for the VIPs. The other problem is that every time it rains you have to wash the car off and start again, but then limo drivers have nothing else to do.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Here is a pic of mine taken last summer, I bought it about 12 years ago, had it for a couple years (did nothing with it) and I made my dad mad and he gave it away, last summer my wife bought it back for my birthday
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Here is what it looked like when I got it back, with no floors, a dead 40 horse, All it was worth actually was the title and more importantly my teenage dream of cruising in it.
Dune-Buggy-Archives

Post by Dune-Buggy-Archives »

Steve went black with a flame graphic on the hood. I think it is killer looking, probably hard to maintain though. John ImageImageImage