Yet another gas tank help ???

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Yet another gas tank help ???

Post by Gene-C »

OK, here is the tank I have. It sits nice and flat but my hood won't clear the big "bumps" at the front. This is an older clone that was probably setup for an early tank, but I can't seem to find anything for sure. Would a 60-66 ish tank be flatter? Any ideas? Thanks! Image Image
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

If you want to use that particular tank, you have a couple choices. You can cut the "humps" out and weld in flat sheetmetal or you can take a good sized deadblow hammer and give each "hump" a smack or 2 to flaten them out. I think the later method is used more frequently. :D
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

This tank is really a turd...as you can see. I would like to get the correct tank so "massaging" won't be required, but I'm not sure which one to look/ask for.
jspbtown

Post by jspbtown »

This what what I have used in the past... http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D201%2D075%2DAB On this buggy Image
Gene-C

Tank

Post by Gene-C »

I don't mean to spend your money But do really want to put that tank back in---I just can't believe the tank is any better on the inside than the out side Ya'll might be looking for more trouble than it's worth all that stuff in the fuel line or worst carb. There are new tanks thru J C WHITNEY www.jcw.com just find the year you need Lots of luck
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

61 to 67 tanks will work. Earlier ones were taller. You should still relocate(weld) a new 2" filler pipe to the top left corner of the tank and weld a patch over the original filler location. One of these caps mounted in the correct spot on the hood, connected by a 2" diameter rubber fuel hose to the tank makes a nice set up. The cheapest one works well. Image
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Does the tank fit if you turn it around and put the big bump at the rear? Then all you need to do is to relocate the filler tube.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I don't mean to spend your money But do really want to put that tank back in
No, I don't want to use this tank, that's why I was asking what specific year to buy that will fit. I know where to buy tanks just didn't know which one was correct.....now I think I do. Thanks.
Does the tank fit if you turn it around and put the big bump at the rear?
No, the bottom is clearanced to not hit the tierods etc. Turning it backwards cause all of that to hit. I think I'll track down a 61-67 tank. I have a '58 tank and you're right...it's way too tall. Thanks for all the answers! I really admire you guys that have been through all of this and worked it out!
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I have worked a a few buggys and had the front corners of an aftermarket 61-67 tank interfere with the hood. I'm not sure if an original VW tank would have been an issue.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Original 61-67 tanks fit. They are the ones specified in the original building instructions for the Manx. Also, moving the filler pipe to the top rear of the tank provides an additional gallon of tank capacity.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

That is providing non of the fiberglass has moved over the years. The other buggys I worked on were designed for 61-76 tanks too, but something changed :confused:
MickeyUSA

Post by MickeyUSA »

Because I don't know is there a difference between the 62-67 and 68-78 tank besides the fill tube?
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

I recently bought a new Brazilian tank for my SR. Turned around so that the big bump is at the rear, as it needs to be in an SR, there is good clearance uderneath as the tank has a big groove for the steering column on both sides and is not quite as deep as the old tank that I have. A few minor whacks with a rubber hammer will make it fit well. It must be a universal left and right hand drive tank. I think that the Type 3 has a flat topped tank, but it may be too deep and too large.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Mine hits on the tierods and or steering box when it's backwards. I may try that again and see what's in the way....maybe a little massaging would make me feel better.