Clutch Pedal Shaft ???

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Clutch Pedal Shaft ???

Post by Gene-C »

I'm rebuilding a pedal assembly for my buggy. Trouble is I'm not sure what year it is, I believe it's around 72 or 73. What is the difference in this part between those years? They show that it changed in 73. Does it come with bushings? If not where to get them? Thanks
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I may be wrong but i never remember any bushings . it was just metal to metal as far as the clutch shaft went. I stopped using them and went to hydraulic clutch for a few extra bucks.Not sure if there is a difference
Gene-C

Pedal Ass'ly

Post by Gene-C »

You have the clutch shaft, pin and spring, plus the two pedal arms. You can get the shaft, shaft pin and spring, mail order from Wolfsburg West, Corona, Ca. @www.wolfsburgwest.com. or 1951-549-0525. Ther'e in Hot V.W. Mag. :2cents: Image
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Bushing is part of the pedal cluster. I never had to replace one yet. There was a change in height of crosshaft hook on 1973 and later ones. Corospond with change on transmission clutch release arm being longer too.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Do you know if the cable hook is longer or shorter on the late model pedals? Just wondering which one has the longer hook. It might be an easy way to reduce the clutch pedal effort.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Jerry I can't answer your question. However, I did take the thing apart today and it definately has a bushing in each end, they come right out. They appear to be plastic. I believe this is a fairly late model, it has an OE plastic accelerator pedal on it. I think they will be ok with a little grease, the shaft is just a little loose. I would take a picture, but my wife dropped her camera and it didn't like it very much. :roll:
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Later one is longer. Just have to make sure it will line up with clutch tube.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

The lever (hook) length could very well explain why my 69 Baja with a stage 2 kennedy pressure plate works with less effort then the stocker in my Manx sitting on a 1965 chassis. HMMMM.