Rear Torson Bars??

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Rear Torson Bars??

Post by Gene-C »

I have a 62 pan. the rear torsion bars and caps are missing. I intend to use the bars and caps from a 67. Will the 67 torsion bar and caps fit my 62 pan? What years are different? Anyone have some kind of compairson list?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

The only diiference in caps is if you have a swing axle or irs rear end. If both are swing axles the caps will work as for the torsion bar length, somebody will answer you soon...they just answered my torsion bar length question.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

yes they should work. VW switched from SW to IRS in 68 so a set of end caps from 67 should work fine. Just make sure that there are no torsion bars sticking out the end.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

[QUOTE="WuZaBuG"]I have a 62 pan. the rear torsion bars and caps are missing. I intend to use the bars and caps from a 67. Will the 67 torsion bar and caps fit my 62 pan? What years are different? Anyone have some kind of compairson list?[/QUOTE] Yeah, as everyone said, they're the same. If I'm not sure about a part or interchangeability, I usually check http://www.cip1.com . They're pretty good about stating correct years for stuff and have an extensive parts list. They usually have a pretty knowledgable sales staff as well.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

OK great. Thanks for the replies. One more thing, Why do some VW's have torsion bars that terminate at the cap while others have deep caps to protect the bars that protrude past the swing arms.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

That's a good question. Where is brian?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I'm no engineer so here is my best guess. I think the longer ones would give a more consistant "spring" rate throughout the travel. The shorter it is the sooner it will bind up. VW did change to the longer ones in the later models so there must have been a good reason, maybe trying to get a more refined and better ride. OK someone tell us the real reason. :confused:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

a shorter torsion bar has a stiffer spring rate. that's really all there is to it. So Sing axles have a stiffer spring rate and IRS has a softer spring rate.