My Son Loves Me

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

My Son Loves Me

Post by Gene-C »

Well technically he loves himself. He just bought this. I've been wanting one for a long time. I guess the old man's mig is no longer good enough for him. I had never tried a TIG before and it's not as easy as it looks, dad blasted 20 year old is better at it than I am. (must be the eyes) Of course he would never bring that to my attention. :o We'll it's mine until he moves out. :rock: Image
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Tig is for sissies. Use a stick welder like a real man. It's either blasting through metal, or just hot enough to stick the rod to the metal. Damp Welding rods make it challenging. Kneeling on the spent rods in your shorts also makes you tough. And everyone knows that a good weld joint looks a miniature volcanic eruption of slag covered metal. (god I hate my welder)
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I learned to weld with a stick welder. Then I learned to gas weld with coat hangers. Come to think about it that's all I have ever gas welded with. :roll: I still have an old stick welder. Years ago when I was in the wrecker business a guy wanted me to haul off an old VW. I went over to look at it and decided it wasn't worth hauling off. He had the welder sitting there and asked if he gave me the welder would I take the bug? :laugh1: My how things have changed. Still have the welder, but not the bug. Hey UncleBob you can use the TIG if you ever need to weld anything like, oh say a shift rod. :laugh1: j/k
fubar

Post by fubar »

You can stick weld quite nice with a tig welder. I actually have a high freq starter button on my electrode holder that I use on the Idealarc tig. The trick to good tig welding is a high quality electric helmet, pigskin gloves, sharp tunsten, proper gap and travel angles. Learning how to feed rod is a bonus. Then about 10 years of doing it every day will make it pretty.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Fubar, This welder is actually a stick welder also. Just have to change the main lead. I never realized how much there was to it. All the different size and types of tungsten for different metals. I have to agree that a good helmet would help. Sure hope he buys one soon. :D I have a total of about 5 minutes experience with it so far so I'm sure I will get better.
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

I am actually going to the Tech College here next month to welding school - 2 nights a week for 6 weeks - not to get certified, but to learn more about TIG and MIG - the only thing that I know is stick and then I burn holes in the thin stuff... O - Chuck - what is that green thing in the background of the welder picture? There is hope for you yet!!! :rock:
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

And, Hey, Chuck's got a Honda CT Trail bike as well. You're OK in my book, although you ought to keep it cleaner. :roll: Ah. no matter, it'll always start on the first kick and climb any tree you want!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Ha Ha Ha Jim, I was hoping you would catch that, I took the big agle on purpose just for you. Maybe when you finish your welding class you can help me put a Ford engine in it. Allen there are two of them. 1994 models one has 500 miles the other 600. I had one when I was a kid so when they reintroduced them I had to have one or two. They are very nice under the dust. Image
fubar

Post by fubar »

ImageI make these control arms with a Miller Dialarc that came over on the Mayflower and a cruddy bench grinder. The modern tig machines work much better.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Hey Fubar, Looks good. Nobody likes a show off. :cry: I need lots of practice. I think that if I could hold steady and see I could do much better. If My son doesn't invest in a helmet he or I one may get one from Santa Claus. Right now I have the two for $15.00 ones from Tractor Supply. (nuthin but the best)
fubar

Post by fubar »

I would spend the money on a Hornell helmet. Your eyes are worth the $300, trust me.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

What do you know about the Optrel? Do you think the Hornell is better?
fubar

Post by fubar »

Have not tried that brand. I can tell you with confidence that the Jackson brand will not work with aluminum. Maybe they do now, but when I tried their POS out, the liquid screen got funky with the AC / high freq. You can save a few dollars and might get something that will kind of work, but flash burn is a *****.................Lay awake all night with someone grinding sand in your eyes with a bootheal with a vengence.. That is flashburn. Spend the money and save the pain ...I love to shoot guns and the sight post on my ar15 is permantely blury from welding+age. DO NOT BE CHEAP>>>>>>SAVE YOUR VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!