Finally My First Buggy

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

Boys and Girls - Lakeland and Polk County are my backyard! I grew up in Lake Wales, and had the first Baja in the County. (way too many years ago) I have very fond memories of some of the trails :roll: there are several areas that would be perfect for a get together. I even think they have a campground at the park now. Two questions: 1) Sugar Sand trails or scub land? 2) Campground with or without showers?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Question 1 either way. Question 2 gets 2 votes for showers here. :hello:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

You guys have it made. Thinking about buggy runs and camping... I'm gathering firewood and hunkering down for the long cold winter...:eek:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="WuZaBuG"]You guys have it made. Thinking about buggy runs and camping... I'm gathering firewood and hunkering down for the long cold winter...:eek:[/QUOTE] Yeh, hurricane yesterday, nice cool buggy weather today 60s. :laugh1: Actually it's a little hot here for buggy riding through the summer. We got our first cooler weather of the year today. Coming into the good buggy weather. Come on down.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[QUOTE="Yellermanx"]Hey Bud, We'd be glad to have you. Keep your eyes open here because I'm sure this is where it will originate. I'm not sure if Jim is talking about meeting in Lakeland to discuss the get together or he knows of some place around there to ride. I'm sure he will let us know. Weren't you trying to get something together up your way?[/QUOTE] Chuck, Yes, you are correct. Manx2640 (Bob) and I were trying to drum up some interest up here. Unfortunately, it fizzled :( . I'd like to get together with folks with similar interests, even if that means traveling to FL. Maybe if I come down there, I can convince some of youz guyz to come up this way :D . I just need to solve my transportation problem for my buggy. I'm not real keen on flat towing, so I'm trying to figure out how to mod my boat trailer to carry my buggy. Hopefully the timing will work out. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

Just let me know where and when I will be there. I have family all over this wind beaten state!!!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Jim, Keep me up to date if we are going to have another get together. I'm all for it. I don't get to check the forum as much as I used to. I'm thinking of maybe taking the buggy on a camping trip over Thanksgiving. Maybe salt Springs area. :driving:
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

Guys - It sounds like there is a considerable amount of interest in another gathering. I mentioned to you about the campground in the Ocala National Forest that rented the entire area for $150.00 per night. It has a GIANT dining room and kitchen and a large brand new shower/bathroom facility. My church rented it for a Friday and Saturday night - the 50 of us did not put a dent in the capacity. If coming to north central Florida is a possibility - we could look into that. We would be inside our own camp area behind gates to the general public - in the middle of a large off roaders paradise. the only catch would be the insurance policy that the Feds want to cover themselves. It was covered by the blanket of the church, but I dont know much about that sort of stuff. (even less than about Ford / Deere transplants... :crazy: ) We might even get some VW / Buggy suppliers to contribute to the cause if we let them set up a vendor area. ???? (that would make it FREE for us) The area is only about 5 or 6 miles from Rich and Robins place.
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

Ocala is good by me its only 4 hours away.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

It is early (6am) but I am thinking there must be a hook we can use to get John Deere and Ford to host an Ocala camping trip.... :laugh1: Maybe I need some more coffee. Ocala is great for me, only an hour away!
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Another vote for Ocala! If I bust my hump, I may be able to bring the sandrail also.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Jim, Did they give you any indication of how much coverage they require?
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

$300,00 general liab. The only time available at Doe Lake is December16&17 nothing in January - should we book it?
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

[QUOTE="flaboyjim"]$300,00 general liab. The only time available at Doe Lake is December16&17 nothing in January - should we book it?[/QUOTE] $300,000? Will they take a check? I'll just post-date it 12/04/2154
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

December16&17
WOW, that is the ONLY free weekend I have in Dec. :D