Steering Shaft and Signal Arm

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
rzeller

Steering Shaft and Signal Arm

Post by rzeller »

Since I bought my buggy the signal lights never shut off automatically by turning the steering wheel. I finally pulled the steering wheel off to look at the shaft (I have a pre-66? shaft; w/o the collapsible shaft) and the signal light unit. Since the Bentley book does not really help me, I thought I'd ask here. How does the steering column turn off/trip the signal arm? I though the brass ring (just below the retaining clip) would some how trip the arm. Problem I have is that the arm unit won't pull forward enough to align the brass ring and the little tab that extends when you put the turn arm up or down. Additionally, the brass ring spins freely and I don't see how it (brass ring) would turn with the shaft. One more thing, the brass ring seems very thin to align perfectly with the tab. I'm really wondering if I am missing a few pieces. It looks like something might/could go between the brass ring and the retaining clip to push the brass ring down the shaft more. If someone has any pictures that shows the pieces and order of things from the upper steering bearing to the retaining clip (or can describe the pieces), I'd appreciate the help. The first picture is of my shaft with the signal tab extended (it's hard to see depth, but the tab is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch below the brass ring). The second picture is from the other side. Thanks. Bud Image Image
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

What cancels the turn signal is the piece that is mounted on the bottom of the steering wheel. It is a contoured shape and is mounted on the steering wheel with 3 screws.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Joseph, That makes sense that the steering wheel itself would do it. Unfortunately I don't have the original (or an original VW steering wheel) to compare. As you can see below, I have an after-market Grant steering wheel. How have others solved this problem with after-market wheels? Thanks. Image
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

The Grant steering wheel adapter comes with 3 little nylon screws to fasten an original VW cancelling ring to the backside of the adapter. You need to find a doner Wheel so you can pilfer a cancelling ring. :D
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

You maybe able to find one from Mid America or what ever they are calling them selfs now or AirHead Parts. I think I remember seeing the part for sale in both of there catalogs.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

I will give that a try. Thanks for the advice and help. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I have the exact same Grant wheel. So thats what those screws are for..... I dont mind cancelling the signal manually. Its not like you can forget to cancel on my buggy. the front turnsignals are on top of the fender...:driving:
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

I used to be an instructor at a truck driving school. Most truck signals are not self-canceling. If one of my students forgot to cancel the signal, I`d make them roll down the window, and yell "Hey! I`m finished turning left now!" They learned real quick. :laugh1:
CM-Rick

Post by CM-Rick »

Bud, if you're interested ; I have a couple of stock steering wheels in my garage that I can find and check to see if they still have the part you need. Let me know. :hello:
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

CM Rick and all, Thank you for the offer of the parts. I really appreciate it. My problem is solved now. I called my mechanic before I left work and asked him if he had any of the rings laying around his shop. He told me he had an old style and new style ring. He gave (the bottle of wine at Christmas paid off :D ) me both rings with screws to mount it. Since I had no clue which style was which (one was plastic and the other metal) I tried the plastic one first. It worked, with one slight mod. For some reason the canceling tab on the ring didn't extend far enough into the steering tube to trip the arm. I cut a piece of cardboard and put it between the ring and the adaptor (I didn't screw the ring to the adaptor since there is a pin that fits into the adaptor which keeps it from spinning.) and it was enough to trip the arm. This job all started because I wanted to change my steering wheel. I now have self-canceling turn signals and a new steering wheel (a Grant GT model, which is larger in diameter and turns much easier with the fat tires on the front.). FYI, another lesson learned is that you need a steering wheel with 3.5 or greater dish. Otherwise you scrape your knockles on the turn signal arm. The new wheel is 3.75 dish. Fortunately for me Advance Auto takes parts back. Thanks once again for all the help. I had no clue how to fix the signal lights. Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing