oil cooler

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
manxfwin

oil cooler

Post by manxfwin »

I hope someone in the forum has had this come up and has a solution.I have a type 3 converted to an upright but must use the type 3 cooler that has the oil pressue sending unit attached.My question;I believe I have the correct seals for this application (10mm.on one side and 8mm.on the other) but was wondering what spacers ,if any ,are needed between the cooler and adapter? As usual,any help or ideas will be appreciated. :confused:
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

It all depends on what year cooler you have. Early Type III coolers (single relief valvecase) used a thicker seal than a type I. Late type IIIs used the same seal as type I (dual relief case). As for installing the step seals on a type I upright with the early cooler used a .040" washer as a spacer. You can drill and tap your case for and oil pressure switch.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
manxfwin

oil cooler

Post by manxfwin »

The cooler that I have must be an early type.The seals that I have are slightly tapered with the larger side 10mm ? fitting the oil cooler adapter and the smaller side 8mm on the cooler side.Do you need to use a spacer/washer at each of the 3 mounting locations? Do I need to include anything else in the ass'y?I am trying to avoid any engine tear down for the time being believing the seller that this engine had a recent rebuild which prohibits the drilling/tapping for the oil sender.Thanks Joseph for any info that you might be able to provide.The engine originally had an early shroud with a standard cooler with no oil sender so I'm going by the info from this site on this ass'y.Thanks again for the help.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Use spacers on all 3 mounting places. You want to compress the seals some but not squish them so they close up the passage. You can drill the passage with the engine together Drill it out crank engine over oil will push chips out. Put grease on tap will collect cuttings then crank engine over to push the rest. Install OP switch. You will get very little aluminum particles inside the engine. Has been done many times for many years by lots of different people.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970